Help with new build (please?)

supersar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hi. Please forgive if this is a completely stupid question. I am attempting my 1st build, using an MSI 880GMA-E45 and NZXT Hades case. I really am having more difficulty than I anticipated wiring the components to the motherboard. The instructions for both the case and the motherboard are sparse at best. I have the Hard drive attached to the SATA 1 port and was going to use sata 2 for the dvd drive. I have the HDD connected via sata cable to the motherboard(sata 1 port) and to the power supply. I also have the DVD drive connected to sata 2 and also to power supply. Is that all the connections that are needed for those components? (ie there is a cable marked 'HD audio' that came with the case...but I am not sure if it needs to be attached to the Motherboard or if the sata connection is already taking care of that.) The manuals aren't being much help. Can someone with more building experience offer some advice? Thanks much.. :)

lowriderflow

Distinguished
That's all you need... each drive should have 2 plugs. One for data and one for power. That's the correct order as well... hard drive to SATA 1.

Don't worry about the HD audio. If you have a speaker/headphone port on the front of your computer, that's what the cable is for. If you plan on plugging yoru speakers in the back directly into the motherboard like most people, then you dont need it.
If you do want to hook it up, your motherboard manual should show you where the pins are to plug it in. Typically they're right next to the power/reset pins that you used to connect your cases power switch and lights to the motherboard.