[Graphic Cards] 57xx or 58xx

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello, I'm planning to upgrade gpu to a faster one and uses directx 11.
Right now I'm using EVGA 9800 GT Superclocked. I'm able to play most game in high settings at my optimum resolution which is 1440x900.
My main concern I have is when I play mmorpg called perfect world international. I cannot max the settings at all. I get frame lag and very much I don't like it. I want to play a game on its highest setting so I can enjoy the game better.
Have you heard a new mmorpg game called Blade & Soul? The same creater of Lineage and Aion. The CB should be open later this year.
Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLmTJYzHmM

Look at the graphic :eek: It's awesome right! :D
I've been looking around to make sure that my computer can handle that kind of game in its highest setting.
My cpu is intel core 2 duo e8200 and 4gb ddr2 667mhz memory ram.

I'm looking between ATI 5750, 5770, and 5830. Which one should I get to fulfill my desire of the highest video game settings?

I heard that ATI 5770 has flicker issue. Is it already been fixed until now? or not yet?

Solution
Probably wouldn't notice much FPS difference till about 3.2-3.6ghz, but it depends on the resolution you're using. Anything under about 1280x1080 can easily get CPU bottle necked in many applications. The 5850 can probably still stretch it's legs at that resolution but for example I added a 2nd one, running FurMark, and at that resolution the increase was like 5fps. When I bumped up to 1920x1080 every other setting the same, suddenly the crossfire gained 90% over a single.

So anyway, CPU speed shouldn't be much of an issue with a 5770 but some games are more CPU dependant than others, and a faster CPU is always good :) (ok, well, unless it's too high and breaks)

You could upgrade the CPU but before doing that I'd definitely try to OC...

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
@PshychoSaysDie
My CPU is not overclocked.

I'm trying to play the game like upcoming blade & soul in my native resolution 1440x900.

I was afraid if I pick the more expensive ATI 5830 that it might probably too overpower and wasted my money. I'm unsure since I never own ATI card before.

+1 for 5770. It's a good card. If you're going to 58xx series, not much point going with 5830 imo at that point just get the 5850...

Anyway, OCing the CPU can net you some benefits. You might consider that, even for just a small 500mhz increase.

As to fan speed loudness, you'll have to check reviews for specifics but in general they're all fairly similar. By default the fan on reference cards at least does not go above about 30% so it's very quiet. I set custom fan profiles on my 5850s and even at 50% I find them pretty quiet, and while gaming I don't even notice them. They're set to max out at 70% which is getting pretty loud but that's only if they're nearing 80C and they're never that hot.

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Thank you for the answer. I'm still reviewing ATI 5770 for all brand and still deciding which one to get.
My CPU runs at 2.66ghz. If I increase it to 2.7ghz or 2.8ghz how much frame rate would I get?
Would it be better if I upgrade my cpu to e8600?

Probably wouldn't notice much FPS difference till about 3.2-3.6ghz, but it depends on the resolution you're using. Anything under about 1280x1080 can easily get CPU bottle necked in many applications. The 5850 can probably still stretch it's legs at that resolution but for example I added a 2nd one, running FurMark, and at that resolution the increase was like 5fps. When I bumped up to 1920x1080 every other setting the same, suddenly the crossfire gained 90% over a single.

So anyway, CPU speed shouldn't be much of an issue with a 5770 but some games are more CPU dependant than others, and a faster CPU is always good :) (ok, well, unless it's too high and breaks)

You could upgrade the CPU but before doing that I'd definitely try to OC the old one because even if you break it, well, you were planning on a replacement anyway! haha.

Solution

Hd5770 handles most games well up to 1920x1080 resolution, so I am sure at your resolution.
ATI is now on at least their third driver release (CCC 10.5) after the cards where introduced so the flickering should be gone.
People here have recommended the MSI Hawk for its cooling solution and ASUS CuCore as well.