mussyo

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
hello there

i was wondering as im due for an upgrade what is to this date the fastest cpu available for gaming enthusiasts

i want maximum power with no concern for cost..

i would prefer to know which AMD processor is the fastest in their range but if the intels have a considerable lead i may choose to switch....

been seing a lot of opteron cores ? what are they. i have been told they have 24 cores ? what is this? am i able to game with this processor.

any information would be useful

thanks in advance for the help that i know i will get

Unfortunately, if you are really looking for maximum gaming power, you are not only looking at an Intel platform, but probably also nVidia SLI.

Since almost no one really needs that, or wants the power consumption, heat, and noise that comes along with it . . . and since you prefer AMD . . . you might not be concerned about stepping down a bit in "power".

I'm sure someone who does AMD will stop by to help you further.

randomizer

Champion
Well, if you must have the best: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=46499&processor=X7560&spec-codes=SLBRD

Put 4 of those in a server board and you've got yourself more processing power than most CAD professionals. You also probably would've just set yourself back over $10000 without having bought anything except the CPUs and motherboard. :D

But it would be fast.

On the other hand, you could go for something a bit less powerful and $9000 cheaper. The fact is that with the exception of a small range of games, parallel CPU processing power beyond a certain point is going to net you very little if anything at all.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
If you want AMD, I am going to assume ATI aswell? You will want the Phenom X4 965 (for overclocking 955), for none 64 bit applications.... If you want 6 cores, I'd go with the 1090T phenom x6... the benchmarks and performance by AMD 6 cores are.... appalling to say the least. if I was buying, and didn't care for price I'd get....

1090T
Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system
GigaByte GA-890FXA-UD5 AMD 890FX
16 gigs of whatever ram you see fit.
ATI Radeon HD 5970 4GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
SilverStone SST-ST1500, 1,500 watts (you may want more...)
80 GB Intel X25-M, plus a SATA III HDD...
your choice on the rest, if you really don't have a real budget (I mean constraints) go intel, with ATI graphics... but wait for the 68xx or higher to come out.
EDIT: I dunno anything about mobos that have several CPUs on it so this isn't THE best, but it'd run just about anything you can throw at it.... also, will you be building this or a company?

Step 1 - Decide which aspects of performance are important to you

Step 2 - Understand that gaming performance is more driven by GPU than it is CPU, so don't cut yourself short on a graphics card to spend more on a processor

Step 3 - Check the charts and benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/benchmarks,112.html

As long as you're clear on what it is you wish to achieve, then it's simply a matter of choosing the winner of the appropriate category.

loneninja

Distinguished
Absolute best desktop processor right now is the Intel Core I7 980X, but for gaming performance it's not much better than an I7 930 which costs a whole lot less. AMD's best processor is the Phenom II X6, although multithreaded performance can hang with Intel's quad core I5/I7, it trails in single threaded performance.

You can see a comparison of the 1090T and 980X here.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=142

you're right if you just go by the question itself..
good point.
some people don't realize a cpu is a cpu.
doesn't matter if it's labeled server or desktop, it's all a matter of preference.
it's your build right.?
at least I look at it that way.
actually the xeon 5,6,7 series ar the only ones that can be used in multi socket configurations

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

I'm glad the pictures on newegg inform me that it's got a diagnostics LED, clearly an important factor at the price point.... I really didn't care how many usb posrt its got, or where they are anyway...

randomizer

Champion

Addicts never give up, you should know that :) Anyway, my Beckton was better than a silly Gulftown. Let's see you do an 8-socket rig with Gulftown. 8-way Beckton; that's 64 cores and 128 threads :D Only $20000 too :lol:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

I saw one of those on Newegg some months ago but it disappeared from the website. Its also socket 1567...?, is that a new server grade socket from Intel?
Oh and I saw its price tag on newegg was 3700 or something around that haha, thats crazy.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I saw a motherboard that could fit four of those 7650's octocore CPU's and fit 192GB of ram...four of those processors, eight cores each, two threads per core. Thats 4x8x2=64! 64 Cores of power...paired with a 192GB of ram. Assuming I need not run anything else, I can technically run 32 virtual machines with each virtual machines having two cores...or one physical core basically. And each machine would be able to have around 5-6GB of ram. Can windows 7 even see that many cores, I know the ultimate edition can work with 192GB of ram, but 64cores? And gaming, cad, CRYSIS...etc...should be a peice of cake for this. Pair this with four Nvidia Quadro 5000 GPU's in QuadSLI...and this would be the most ridiculous system.

mussyo

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
right so i wanted to ask do you reckon that i could go and put 2 Cpu's (980x) on a single motheboard.

would that be the best performer in the gaming range ?
within reason.

as i would really like to get the server cpu's i dont think i would ever need 32 cores.

i am an enthusiast but would rather not spend money on somethign i will never use.

thanks for all the responses guys.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I don't think you can put 980x together, it doesn't have an extra channel needed to communicate with another CPU. You can put two Xeon 5680's together, they are also 6 cored and on the 1366 socket like the 980x except the xeon is more powerful probably.

randomizer

Champion
I recommend that you forget about multi-CPU (not multi-core) configurations for a gaming system. You're spending money that you can save for other components now or in the future and getting no additional benefit for what you plan to do with the system. Multi-CPU configurations are for servers and for people who can't fit enough cores into one socket when they need as many as they can get; ie. not gamers