Asus 5850 Direct CU TOP

Clsmooth391

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Really need some help with this card. I am trying to install it. It requires a 6 and a 8 pin molex. I'm using a Corsair HX620 watt Power Supply. The 6 pin side is fine. There is an 8 pin molex but it doesn't go in. Would really appreciate any advice.

Solution
It looks like it should work alright, though I would recommend not routing both connectors to the card (i.e., connect the 6-pin from the power supply like normal, then do the 8-pin from the adapter, so that you essentially end up with the two 6-pin lines remaining separate). It probably wouldn't explode outright or anything, but unless you're anal about cable management it would probably be best to have them separate (though you could always try it and see). Near as I can find, the +12v rail is split three ways with 18 amps on each (rather than it all being one rail).

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003

Hey, that's one of the card I was thinking about buying!

I could have sworn I read a review that said you could use 2 six pin pcie connectors if you weren't planning to overclock (but don't take my word for it until I find it). According to Newegg, you're PSU has 2x6 pin (so I guess the 8 pin was the EPS connector?) which wouldn't fit there. The second 6-pin should fit in "to the right" on the 8-pin hole (according to the picture).

Also, there are "adapter" cables out there, such as the 2x4-pin molex to 6+2 (aka, 8) pin pcie one ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198022&cm_re=pcie-_-12-198-022-_-Product ) and since you have an extra 6-pin, there are 6-pin to 8-pin adapters (though I honestly don't know how well they sub for a "real" 8 pin connector http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198016&cm_re=pcie-_-12-198-016-_-Product ).

Clsmooth391

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Thank you so much for that. I have just read that 2 6 pin connectors can be used even for light overclocking. It makes sense to me to buy this card over the standard due to 3 years warranty even if you overclock using Asus utility. This would bring it up to the 5870.

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
It looks like it should work alright, though I would recommend not routing both connectors to the card (i.e., connect the 6-pin from the power supply like normal, then do the 8-pin from the adapter, so that you essentially end up with the two 6-pin lines remaining separate). It probably wouldn't explode outright or anything, but unless you're anal about cable management it would probably be best to have them separate (though you could always try it and see). Near as I can find, the +12v rail is split three ways with 18 amps on each (rather than it all being one rail).

Solution