Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installation for internal wireless network adapter

Last response: in Components
September 10, 2010 7:08:32 AM

I have a gateway laptop, that is a couple of years old. It is a widows XP based model and i am having trouble with reinstalling the wireless internal adapter that it came with. I have no disc to reinstall the adapter itself. All of my drivers are up to date since i use a program called driver genius to search for updated drivers if they happen to be old or missing from my computer. The driver i am using for my wireless network adapter is called broadcom. I recently uninstalled the wireless adapter because it was showing a connection speed of 11mbps. This of course got very frustrating and i uninstalled the adapter from the hardware list in hopes that when i restarted my laptop it would reinstall itself and correct the problem. Of course after computer restart it was nowhere to be found and i am now without wireless capability, even though the actual wireless card still lay dormant inside of my laptop. So here i am hardwired into my laptop with a 50 foot ethernet chord strung across my house in hopes of coming across a fix online. But of course so far to no success.
September 10, 2010 11:39:50 AM

Please post your Gateway model number, we may be able to find the specific hardware and driver on the Gateway website. Or you could allow Windows update to install a driver.
September 10, 2010 9:17:56 PM

My model number for my gateway laptop is 600YGR. Sorry i forgot to post that before.
Related resources
September 10, 2010 10:57:05 PM

My solution would be (has been) to remove the pci card and buy a cheap $20 USB wireless and plug it in. They are easy to use, move and replace. Those internal wireless cards seem to always end up being a PITA for me.
September 11, 2010 2:00:06 PM

I believe dndhatcher may have a point. I used ko888's download suggestion and attempted to reinstall the driver for the adapter, however when i did so and followed the instructions, it prompted for me to do as follows. "In Device Manager, under Other Devices, double-click Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE, and then click Reinstall Driver." unfortunately " Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE" was not located under "Other devices" so there is no driver to attempt a reinstall with. So if i cannot find a solution to this troublesome issue i may have to do what dndhatcher suggested and purchase a usb wireless connecter. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated and i would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread thus far in hopes of coming across a solution for this hair-jerker.

Best solution

September 11, 2010 5:36:24 PM

I would use nLite to create a custom Windows XP SP3 CD with all of the Gateway 600YG2 drivers integrated into it and use the resulting boot CD to do a Repair Install.
September 13, 2010 3:50:54 PM

Thank you ko888. I don't really know why i never thought of doing that and not only did it correct my internal wireless adapter issue but also corrected the reason i had removed it in the first place and that being its slugish connection speed to the internet at 0.1 to rarely 0.5 and seldomly 11.0mbps only when i sat right next to my wireless modem. Worked like a charm buddy and thank you all for your co-operation in resolving this issue. ~Sapius
September 13, 2010 3:52:22 PM

Best answer selected by sapius.
!