Solved

Installation for internal wireless network adapter

I have a gateway laptop, that is a couple of years old. It is a widows XP based model and i am having trouble with reinstalling the wireless internal adapter that it came with. I have no disc to reinstall the adapter itself. All of my drivers are up to date since i use a program called driver genius to search for updated drivers if they happen to be old or missing from my computer. The driver i am using for my wireless network adapter is called broadcom. I recently uninstalled the wireless adapter because it was showing a connection speed of 11mbps. This of course got very frustrating and i uninstalled the adapter from the hardware list in hopes that when i restarted my laptop it would reinstall itself and correct the problem. Of course after computer restart it was nowhere to be found and i am now without wireless capability, even though the actual wireless card still lay dormant inside of my laptop. So here i am hardwired into my laptop with a 50 foot ethernet chord strung across my house in hopes of coming across a fix online. But of course so far to no success.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installation internal wireless network adapter
  1. Please post your Gateway model number, we may be able to find the specific hardware and driver on the Gateway website. Or you could allow Windows update to install a driver.
  2. My model number for my gateway laptop is 600YGR. Sorry i forgot to post that before.
  3. My solution would be (has been) to remove the pci card and buy a cheap $20 USB wireless and plug it in. They are easy to use, move and replace. Those internal wireless cards seem to always end up being a PITA for me.
  4. On Gateway's e-support website there is a Gateway 600YG2, 600YGR Wireless Network driver, version 1.7.37.1095 - Supports: Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98SE

Download is here:

ftp://esupport:vImvF88@ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_2k/portable/600ygr/9520397.exe
  5. I believe dndhatcher may have a point. I used ko888's download suggestion and attempted to reinstall the driver for the adapter, however when i did so and followed the instructions, it prompted for me to do as follows. "In Device Manager, under Other Devices, double-click Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE, and then click Reinstall Driver." unfortunately " Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE" was not located under "Other devices" so there is no driver to attempt a reinstall with. So if i cannot find a solution to this troublesome issue i may have to do what dndhatcher suggested and purchase a usb wireless connecter. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated and i would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread thus far in hopes of coming across a solution for this hair-jerker.
  6. Best answer
    I would use nLite to create a custom Windows XP SP3 CD with all of the Gateway 600YG2 drivers integrated into it and use the resulting boot CD to do a Repair Install.
  7. Thank you ko888. I don't really know why i never thought of doing that and not only did it correct my internal wireless adapter issue but also corrected the reason i had removed it in the first place and that being its slugish connection speed to the internet at 0.1 to rarely 0.5 and seldomly 11.0mbps only when i sat right next to my wireless modem. Worked like a charm buddy and thank you all for your co-operation in resolving this issue. ~Sapius
  8. Best answer selected by sapius.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Internal Wireless Components