Sign in with
Your question

Have I Been Ripped Off?

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 5:18:09 AM

I bought my PC about a year ago. Aside from IE 8 freezing and crashing randomly, I've had no other problems with it. But it occured to me, after reading quite a few threads about custom-build PC's for the same price I paid for last year, have I been ripped off? At the time, I was PC illiterate, and I still somewhat am; I'm learning, although at a slow pace.

Anyways, here are my specs:

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.00Ghz
-Sapphire HD 4850
-P5Q-E (is that the mobo?)
-2 B of ram (I don't even recognize it - probably some cheap brand)
-Windows 7 32-bit
-Thermaltake Soprano RS case (1 fan only located at the back)

I paid close to $1300 Canadian for this (including tax).

More about : ripped

July 13, 2010 5:36:46 AM

You might have paid a bit too much, but there's nothing wrong with those parts. What about the PSU?
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:38:04 AM

You always get ripped off when buying a PC? Because you didn't know, you HAD to pay someone to do it for you. Thats the price you pay. Whether you got ripped off or not depends on if you felt it was a deal for you, and if the price you paid was way more then option B. You did find an option B didn't you?

Even factoring in CAD, and a year ago, $1300 is pretty step for a dual core. I don't know CA prices, but I'm guessing they were/are around 800 or 900 for what you listed. I would be more concerned that you bought something that didn't work right when you bought it. IE shouldn't crash, even if it is a POS program.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 13, 2010 5:41:42 AM

Proximon said:
You might have paid a bit too much, but there's nothing wrong with those parts. What about the PSU?

I have a 500W Cooler Master PSU
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:42:56 AM

4745454b said:
You always get ripped off when buying a PC? Because you didn't know, you HAD to pay someone to do it for you. Thats the price you pay. Whether you got ripped off or not depends on if you felt it was a deal for you, and if the price you paid was way more then option B. You did find an option B didn't you?

Even factoring in CAD, and a year ago, $1300 is pretty step for a dual core. I don't know CA prices, but I'm guessing they were/are around 800 or 900 for what you listed. I would be more concerned that you bought something that didn't work right when you bought it. IE shouldn't crash, even if it is a POS program.

At the time, I honestly thought it was the best thing ever, and I honestly thought it was a good price. But now, close to a year later, I feel really ripped off.
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:44:49 AM

I'm torn between getting the new iPhone 4 outright (around $1000 including warranty and tax here in Canada. I'm also paying for data that I'm not even using) or getting a new PC.

I also made another thread earlier about how hot my PC gets, not warm, but hot enough to actually hurt my finger in less than 7 seconds. Should I get a new PC altogether, or just get a new case and a few extra fans?
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:49:37 AM

eX-Shockwave said:
I have a 500W Cooler Master PSU

The majority of Cooler Master PSUs range from poor to bad, but they do sell some good ones. Same as Thermaltake, Rosewill, and many others. Since this is a common place for builders to cut corners, it could also be the source of your system instability.
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:50:52 AM

Oh, and you can make that system rather nice with a few upgrades. I assure you it's strong as it uses some of the same parts I'm using.
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:01:45 AM

You do have a strong base. If you dump the C2D and get a C2Q and overclock as needed your not really behind the i5 chips. And the P5Q is a P45 board so you good there. SATAII ports, PCIe 2.0 ports, etc. Buy a quad, 4GBs of ram, and a better PSU and you have a pretty good system. You can also buy some fans if your system is that bad. I bet you can spend ~$500 CAD and have a good quad core system. You can replace the PSU and ram, you might need to find someone to do the CPU.
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:48:55 AM

I've decided to get the iPhone 4 and pay full price for it instead. For my current needs (not wants), I actually do need to have the iPhone 4.

Anyways, I have a budget of $200 this month, and I've decided to buy a case first. I've heard good things about the Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6...

My plan is to move my current hardware into that case. I'm just not quite sure if the case comes with the fans and the power supply. If it doesn't come with the PSU, I'll be using what I have now. If it does, then that's great, I'll be using that one.

As for fans, does it come with the huge 230x30 mm at the front, side and top already, or not? If not, it's clear that I have to buy it. If it does come with the 3 huge fans already, I would like to purchase smaller ones and put as much fans as the case would support.

Also, what's the difference between the Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX and the Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower Gaming case?

I'd like get a case now and solve my current problem of really hot hardware. I'd also like to get a case that would last me for years to come.

I'd like to get some feedback on the 2 cases I have mentioned and some comments about what I should do about the extra smaller fans please. I'm also open to any other case recommendations. Any comments, advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: As for extra fans, could anyone please reccommend me good ones from this website? Thanks

http://www.canadacomputers.com/
m
l
July 13, 2010 11:23:32 AM

There is no PSU in the case and you should read the PSU guide linked in my sig. Your upgrades should start there.
m
l
!