SDD and HDD same time usage.

icmikeyp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Ok here's the deal, I'm building a new computer and saving the HDD from my last computer that's 160gb sata 2. I'm building a new computer that will have a 60gb corsair series 3 SSD and wondering if I can use them both. Basically I want windows 7 to be on the SDD for boot and AHCI. The problem is my 160gb HDD has windows 7 on it. I actually dont know if this is a problem though, it is? I want to use them both at the same time like the 60gb SDD to boot up with and when I log in my computer have all my files from my HDD as well. How would I go about doing this?

Do I install Windows 7 OS on SDD first with HDD not installed yet. And when done I install the HDD? If so what would I have to do step wise?
I've read and heard this was the best way to go about it. I'd appreciate any help thank you.

icmikeyp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

Will I have to format it because it also has Windows 7 OS? Basically I want to know if it's possible that when I log in all my files will be there from HDD but SDD for boot up. Can they be connected at the same time so its like a 160gb+60gb sdd?

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
You can connect both drives the same time. But please follow ss202sl advice to unplug your HDD while installing OS. After completion you can replug your HDD, but please check boot order in BIOS, usually in "Advance" or "boot" tab. Choose SSD as first boot HDD/drive.
If everything works fine you can get rid of the windows and the program files folder. Inside of the user folder are all you personal files, some are hidden like "appdata" where most applications save their setting, like Outlook or Firefox favorites.