Sign in with
Your question

HDD with SSD same time use

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2012 6:44:21 PM

Ok here's the deal, I'm building a new computer and saving the HDD from my last computer that's 160gb sata 2. I'm building a new computer that will have a 60gb corsair series 3 SSD and wondering if I can use them both. Basically I want windows 7 to be on the SDD for boot and AHCI. The problem is my 160gb HDD has windows 7 on it. I actually dont know if this is a problem though, it is? I want to use them both at the same time like the 60gb SDD to boot up with and when I log in my computer have all my files from my HDD as well. How would I go about doing this?

Do I install Windows 7 OS on SDD first with HDD not installed yet. And when done I install the HDD? If so what would I have to do step wise?
I've read and heard this was the best way to go about it. I'd appreciate any help thank you.

More about : hdd ssd time

a b G Storage
September 14, 2012 10:48:40 AM

"Do I install Windows 7 OS on SDD first with HDD not installed yet. And when done I install the HDD? If so what would I have to do step wise?
I've read and heard this was the best way to go about it. I'd appreciate any help thank you."

Basically yes, if I was putting the machine together I would want to format the 160G drive to clear off the old windows installation though. This would erase all data on the drive which if you don't have it backed up elsewhere I suppose you can't do.

I wouldn't touch those corsair ssds though, get a samsung 830. I went through 3 force 3 drives in under a year, and 1 of their performance series drives as well.
m
l
!