SomaRukido

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
So about 2 months ago I purchased an Acer Aspire ( Specifics Here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LX.RNT02.093). Recently, the HDD has been super loud, and its driving me insane. I've also heard that when an HDD gets loud/vibrates a lot that its getting close to failing, so i guess i need to replace it. I don't think it's been doing this from the start, but its probably because ive taken the hdd out a few times, and might not have been that careful with it. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new hard drive, as I don't think the warranty will cover it. I don't know what kind to get/ what will fit, so if anyone could help me with that, or tell me how to fix the one i currently have, that would be great, thanks! (Also, If anyone could tell me what kind of RAM will fit in there too, that would be super, as I'm looking to upgrade to 2 4gb sticks Thanks again!)

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Your link doesn't work. Is it a laptop? Laptops are mostly 2.5" drives so any of those size drives will work, even an SSD if your looking for that. It's possible that you might not have put the drive back in correctly, try re-seating it carefully and secure any screws. It might just be loud from the hard drive vibrating against something.

Have you tried running a disk scan?

SomaRukido

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
yes it is a laptop (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LX.RNT02.093) idk if reposting the link will even work. Aspire AS5560-7402 ( LX.RNT02.093 ) is what it is. I have tried taking out the HDD multiple times and screwing it back in, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I haven't ran a disk scan yet, but i'll do that. I dont know what it could be vibrating against other than the case, and if thats all it is then i dont know if replacing it with anything but an SSD would do any good. Are there any drives that are recommended?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

I agree with Midnight, download HD Tune Pro (free trial edition) and run it to see if there are any ID's problems with the HDD.

First click on the Info tab and it will tell you who manufactured the drive, size, etc.
Then click on the Health tab to see if there are any problems identified in the Status column
Then Click on the Benchmard tab, and run a scan. It will give you the Max, Min, and Avg transfer rates of the drive, & the access latency at the end.

That way, you or someone can see if there have been any problems reported on this specific drive.

SomaRukido

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
for health it says "ok" , min is 20, max is 70.1 and average is 49.5
All im really looking for is a way to stop the noise, vibration, and heat, and if the only way to do that is to get a new drive then I guess that's what I'll do, I just dont know what kind to get, or what will fit considering some drives wont fit in certain cases (I may be wrong about that)

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
What Model and size of HDD do you have?

The 2.5" laptop HDDs are all the same physical size, so that's not an issue. Your manual may list a maximum size drive it will accept, so please check that out and let us know.

All the drives take about the same power, ~ 2-5 watts, so the heat will be no different. Also on the main page or HD Tune, what did it say the HDD temperature was?

Then someone can give you a recomendation as to a "better" HDD to use.