icmikeyp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Ok here's the deal, I'm building a new computer and saving the HDD from my last computer that's 160gb sata 2. I'm building a new computer that will have a 60gb corsair series 3 SSD and wondering if I can use them both. Basically I want windows 7 to be on the SDD for boot and AHCI. The problem is my 160gb HDD has windows 7 on it. I actually dont know if this is a problem though, it is? I want to use them both at the same time like the 60gb SDD to boot up with and when I log in my computer have all my files from my HDD as well. How would I go about doing this?

Do I install Windows 7 OS on SDD first with HDD not installed yet. And when done I install the HDD? If so what would I have to do step wise?
I've read and heard this was the best way to go about it. I'd appreciate any help thank you.

Also, I don't plan to reformat my HDD so I still have access to it. But it also will have the same OS which I hope wont be a problem. How does it work with having both SDD and HDD? Do you have to boot up with a different drive every time to access the files on the HDD OR THE SDD? Please help.

G

You are gonna want to copy all your sensitive data from that HDD, then format it. You don't want an OS on your SSD and HDD.

Install OS to SSD, then put your data on HDD.

There are a plethora of guides online. Just do a Google search for your ssd model and motherboard to get a good guide.

Also once you get it all going make sure when you save regular apps and programs that you make sure its going on HDD. Easy mistake.

Hope that helps.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Yuo can boot from the SSD and still access the files on the HDD. The best method is to either install Win 7 on SSD with HDD disconnected or to shrink existing Win 7 install as small as possible and then back up to USB drive from Windows. You then install SSD drive only and use recovery disk to restore backup file off of USB drive and then expand the partition on the SSD to use all of the space. There are some good guides out there on how to do this.