icmikeyp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Ok here's the deal, I'm building a new computer and saving the HDD from my last computer that's 160gb sata 2. I'm building a new computer that will have a 60gb corsair series 3 SSD and wondering if I can use them both. Basically I want windows 7 to be on the SDD for boot and AHCI. The problem is my 160gb HDD has windows 7 on it. I actually dont know if this is a problem though, it is? I want to use them both at the same time like the 60gb SDD to boot up with and when I log in my computer have all my files from my HDD as well. How would I go about doing this?

Do I install Windows 7 OS on SDD first with HDD not installed yet. And when done I install the HDD? If so what would I have to do step wise?
I've read and heard this was the best way to go about it. I'd appreciate any help thank you.

Also, I don't plan to reformat my HDD so I still have access to it. But it also will have the same OS which I hope wont be a problem. How does it work with having both SDD and HDD? Do you have to boot up with a different drive every time to access the files on the HDD OR THE SDD? Please help.

inerax

Distinguished
I just asked the same question! I ordered a new SSD and it will be here this week.

Best answer was to unhook all other HDD's and install windows 7 to the SSD.

Point the bios to the cd drive for the intsall, after install point it back to the SSD.

GL!

icmikeyp

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

Lol, sorry I just needed a more detailed answer because I have windows 7 already on my older HDD and I ordered a 60gb SDD for my new build and wondered if I can access all my files at the same time sort of like the SDD and HDD both combined but with windows 7 on SDD as well but have that one for the bootup.

inerax

Distinguished

you should be able to. I would do a clean install on the SSD with the HDD unplugged.