Imminent ATI GPU Price Drop

lostnomad311

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Is there any reason to believe the price of ATI's HD 58xx line to drop by the end of July (SC2 release)?

I am ready to pick up a GPU but since it will have been about 10 months since the release of the 5850, I'm thinking (hoping) a price drop might be around the corner.

Well Nvidia is going to release the 465 which is a even more crippled 480 chip based card with comparable performance to the mid level 58xx cards but their pricing for it will probably not help bring any competition to the ATI 58xx line to make them lower the pricing of them at all so I doubt there will be any movement on the prices for awhile !!

lol, I've been hoping that for the last 4 months....Certainly not in europe as the prices are ridiculous, I live in the UK where the GTX465 is £20 more than a HD5850, a GTX470 is just £20 less than a HD5870 and the GTX480 is £90 more than a HD5870, So in other words there's little competition and therefore no pressure for ATi to drop their prices.
This is insane though a HD5850's MSRP is £200, yet 9 months after release and its at least £25 more, the price should have gone down by now, not up!. :/

But like I said, no pressure from nVidia = no ATi price drop.

lostnomad311

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
:eek:

Thats my happy/sad face

Happy cause I'm proly gonna go get my PSU today

Sad cause I was hoping for that drop
...Also cause I'm thinking my SC2 addiction's gonna set in with the beta after this upgrade

Thanks for the inputs!

Sort of agree with you there. As much as i wanted one, when i weighed it up the 5770 which is where I'm looking, just isn't value for money. I don't care for what else it has as i have 1 monitor.
Its easy to say sod it and pay the extra over the price i think it should be, but when I'm not having any issues i cant justify the expense.
I don't actually think 200 ish is bad for the 5850 considering its performance and where it is in the line up. But i do feel strongly that what they did to castrate the 5770 and keep its performance at a lower level make it worth no more than £100 at most.

Mactronix

Ati 6 Series GPU's will be out by the end of the year. Expect a price drop on the 5 series cards when that happens

Um like happened to the 4 series when they released the 5 series NOT !!
They bumped the price of the 4 series up to meet the 5 series so it wasn't worth buying the 4 series anymore. If you needed to buy a GPU you either paid too much for a 4 series or too much for a 5 series. :cry:
That's the point where i said sod you AMD/ATI i don't actually need a GPU upgrade. I was all set to upgrade as well.

Mactronix

@ ct1615,

Oh come on your not seriously telling me you bought that supply an demand smoke screen for the price of the 4 series going up are you ?
The price dip was very very short lived and the price went up to just the right price to make it a stupid idea to buy one instead of a 5 series. Coincidence ? I think not.
The prices are still the same with the 4 series vs 5 series cards. Also note the 4 series is still in plentifull supply at the sites i just visited.
4870 £117 vs Referance 5770 £117
4890 £140 vs Sapphire non stock cooler 5770 £ 152
4850 £107
This is 8-9 months after the "shortage" pushed the prices up.
So you cant get a lower speced card because you would be stupid to do so considering that for that bit extra you can have the new card. And if you buy the new card you are paying over the odds.
The 4850 was around £85 before the 5 series was launched, cant swear to a price on the 4870 etc as i wasnt looking at those.

Mactronix