Sign in with
Your question

Just installed an SSD...Works! - HDD now slows system down?

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2012 11:36:02 PM

So I just installed a OCZ Vertex 4 128G SSD....works like a dream
OS installed, windows updated, drivers updated, etc.

Once I plug in my old Western Digital 5200k (left the OS on it just in case my SSD died and I wanted to run my PC until I got a replacement), then my PC boots VERY slow.
2-3 minutes slow (opposed to 20-30seconds with SSD)

So I have swapped SATA ports and checked boot priority in BIOS and both seem okay (running my OS off my SSD for sure).
When I unplug my HDD, my system boots blazing fast, when I plug in my HDD and boot, it boots slower than molasses.
I have another HDD (320G Toshiba 5200k) that is empty and when just that is connected along with my SSD it still boots FAST!

One thought is that I had to revert the SATA drivers back to the original MS driver as I hear the OCZs don't deal well with Nvidia drivers. But this seems like it shouldn't slow my boot time based on devices connected when they aren't even running my OS right?

Ideas...this is driving me crazy! :pt1cable: 

Here is my system info:
MOBO: mATX M2N78-LA (Violet6) (HP mobo that came with my unfortunate purchase of a “HP PAVILION P6310Y DESKTOP”)
CPU: Athlon II X4 630(2.8GHz)
PSU: corsair enthusiast series tx650
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1G DDR5 PCIE
RAM: 6GB DDR3 (some cheap HP provided memory)
HDD: 1TB HDD Western Digital 5200k (also came in the HP Desktop)
HDD2: 320G HDD Western Digital 5200k (from an old HP laptop, now used to back up primary HDD)
SSD: 128g OCZ vertex4
September 14, 2012 3:43:28 PM

I will look into that...thanks for the tip.
I'm also going to see how long it takes to boot just the HDD as it has its own OS.
I almost want to say its faster to boot my HDD alone than my SSD with that HDD hooked up.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 14, 2012 3:44:10 PM

Hmm, only thing I can guess is that somehow it is looking for windows files on the HDD causing it to switch back and forth between it and the SSD. I would recommend trying to remove the install from the other hard drive although you may not want to do that :/ .
m
l
!