Sign in with
Your question

ATI 5870 Catalyst Driver Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2010 8:29:42 PM

Alright, I have a major issue that has had me beating my head against the wall for quite some time now. I have a Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 5870 graphics card. Whenever I try to install ANY catalyst driver version, my system will hang during installation. During any graphics driver install, the screen will sometimes flicker - however, when this happens to my current system, the screen goes blank with a blinking underscore cursor. I am forced to hard reboot my computer and am then faced with an even bigger problem: Windows 7 will no longer boot (Freezes on the Windows Logo) and I have to boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver completely.

The only way the computer will run properly is by letting Windows 7 automatically download and install the driver. However, I want to use the newest version of CCC and the most up to date drivers. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as this one has me stumped.

I would also like to point out that I did have an XFX 5870 card for a very short time that was doing the same thing. The card however was malfunctioning (Aritifacts, random colors, blinking pixels, etc...) and I assumed that the driver install lock up/freezing was related to the defective card. Now that the other card is doing the same thing, I'm not so sure.

System Specs:

Core I7 930 @ 3.85 GHZ
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
GSkill 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Corsair 750 Watt power supply
Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
June 3, 2010 9:39:58 PM

Can you revert your OC to stock settings just to make sure your system is stable ?
June 3, 2010 10:28:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, and I should have already mentioned that I tried it.

I also have an nVidia 8800GTS 640MB version that functions just fine. However the issue that is happening now occurred with 2 different 5870 cards while the nVidia card functions properly.

Since it made no difference, I reverted back to my OC'd settings. It was also tested at 100% load over night with no issues. Temperatures at idle are around 42c.
Related resources
June 4, 2010 5:00:06 AM

The screen is SUPPOSED to flicker when installing a video driver. have you actually tried leaving it to see if it successfully installs? how long do you leave it before rebooting?
June 4, 2010 5:20:06 AM

driver cleaner pro, maybe the old driver is lingering and causing issues.
June 4, 2010 9:33:10 AM

Maybe^ try doing a clean install of the driver,here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on ATI and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done
June 9, 2010 12:52:15 AM

welshmousepk said:
The screen is SUPPOSED to flicker when installing a video driver. have you actually tried leaving it to see if it successfully installs? how long do you leave it before rebooting?

Please re read my original post. You'll see that I specifically stated that during most video driver installs the screen will flicker. That however is not the problem. As for how long I waited - Several hours. Plenty long to know that the screen isn't just flickering.

Also, that still wouldn't explain the blinking cursor, and definitely wouldn't explain why the system would hang during boot.

As for driver conflicts: That was my initial suspicion too, so I removed all video drivers (ATI and nVidia) via device manager and completely uninstalled both devices. I then proceeded to re-install the ATI drivers, which leads me to the problem I am currently having. I have not yet tried the "Driver Sweeper" program, so I suppose I can give that a shot and I will report back if I still have the issues. Here's to hoping that's the problems and it's not some underlying Windows 7 issue... which is what I am leaning towards now.

Otherwise, my original XFX 5870 that I RMA'd wouldn't have had the same issue on a brand new build and a clean install.
June 9, 2010 1:35:37 AM

Driver Sweeper digs deeper in to your system and removes even more completely than some uninstalls non original dlls,sys files(drivers), registry entries.
You windows installation may have become corrupted at some point, (it happens), and its something that is not self correcting from fresh driver installs.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb96390...
Theres a program that a Microsoft engineer wrote and it gives you a advanced view of everything that starts with windows, from the help file.
Quote:
Autoruns
Copyright © 1996-2009 Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and what extension load into various Windows processes, including Explorer and Internet Explorer. A "Hide Signed Microsoft Entries" option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system.

You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically!

Take a look under the drivers tab, how many drivers for hardware components, probably not in your computer. But they include all sorts of various video,chipset,sata,ide,network drivers for various situations. Don't start unchecking things without noting changes, this is a powerful program with a simple interface that will let you quickly damage your windows if your not careful.
June 9, 2010 4:35:31 AM

roadrunner343 said:
Please re read my original post. You'll see that I specifically stated that during most video driver installs the screen will flicker. That however is not the problem. As for how long I waited - Several hours. Plenty long to know that the screen isn't just flickering.

Also, that still wouldn't explain the blinking cursor, and definitely wouldn't explain why the system would hang during boot.

As for driver conflicts: That was my initial suspicion too, so I removed all video drivers (ATI and nVidia) via device manager and completely uninstalled both devices. I then proceeded to re-install the ATI drivers, which leads me to the problem I am currently having. I have not yet tried the "Driver Sweeper" program, so I suppose I can give that a shot and I will report back if I still have the issues. Here's to hoping that's the problems and it's not some underlying Windows 7 issue... which is what I am leaning towards now.

Otherwise, my original XFX 5870 that I RMA'd wouldn't have had the same issue on a brand new build and a clean install.

You hadn't stated how long you'd waited. and powering off the system while isntalling a driver would explain all the other problems.
I don't now why it would not install properly, but the other damage is most likely a result of the computer not being able to shutdown properly.
!