Sign in with
Your question

Mobo RAM compatibility?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 17, 2011 9:59:17 PM

I have a Gigabyte P43T-ES3G mobo and OCZ DDR3 1333 2Gb (x2) RAM. With both sticks of RAM installed in the same colored slots on the mobo (dual channel mode) the desktop won't post. If I position each stick of RAM in different colored slots (single channel mode) it works fine. I understand that dual channel mode is more efficient and therefore allows faster memory access.

My reading of Intel Chipset series 4 documentation leads me to think maybe it can't handle more than 1 Gb of DDR3 memory per slot in some cases. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

More about : mobo ram compatibility

a c 117 V Motherboard
April 17, 2011 11:55:13 PM

You're incorrect on your dimm modes.
Dual channel works in the following configurations.
two modules use dimm1 and dimm3 /or 2 and 4
Of course all dimms filled.
And yes you can use 2gb modules.16gb total
I suggest you read the manual where this is clearly stated.
m
l
April 21, 2011 12:57:23 AM

Davcon,

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thank you.

As you suggested, I reread the mobo manual, but I still have a problem. With the ram modules in dimm1 and dimm3, it wouldn't POST. It would however POST with the ram modules in dimm1 and dimm2, which is how I have them and the computer seems to work pretty well. However, as you (and the manual) stated, that's not the way the ram modules are to be installed.

m
l
Related resources
a c 117 V Motherboard
April 21, 2011 10:56:43 AM

I would download Memtest86+ iso and burn to disc
http://www.memtest.org/
Boot from the disc
Test ram one stick at a time
If the ram is ok you might have a bad dimm
Download CPU-Z to get a handle on your ram speed.
m
l
April 30, 2011 5:31:09 PM

Davcon,

Thank you again, will do. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been busy with work (mandatory overtime) and family.

Jim
m
l
!