Solved

$1200 Multitasking and Moderate Gaming Build Advice for

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 1:30:02 PM

Hey everyone, I've stumbled on TH and found it a great resource for tech needs, especially for computer builds. And I wanna ask you guys for opinions and advice. I've been using computers for over 15 years and always tried to stay current on trends but I've slipped off the past year so I don't know what is the best set ups or whatnots.

Anyway, without further ado.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within next 2 weeks.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Multi-tasking (Adobe) and internet/email, moderate gaming on nice settings.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any but be great if I can order the whole thing on one site for lowest price.

PARTS PREFERENCES: None, whatever works best together as a whole.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes - moderately to possibly high OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, down the line sometime, maybe a year?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Best build for my needs of multi-tasking in resource-heavy Adobe and Microsoft apps for around $1200

Here's what I have so far, after a week of researching the best parts to fit my budget of $1200.

CPU: I5-750

Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

PSU: BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Case: Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm ...

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Sound: HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Network: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter

Monitor: SAMSUNG P2450H Rose Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

CD/DVD: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

TOTAL: $1,260.90 (lower would be great)

Am I missing anything? Will be going Win7 64-bit btw if that matters. And I chose Intel due to general consensus that it's better than AMD? But not sure, I don't feel informed as I should be. I don't mind going AMD if that'll allow future upgrades for at least the next 2 - 3 years.

Well, thanks a lot. Any help and advice is appreciated and considered. Should be able to give the green light for this once I get some good feedback.

More about : 1200 multitasking moderate gaming build advice

July 13, 2010 1:38:15 PM

What exactly do you mean by multitasking? Are you utilizing heavily threaded apps/software? Adobe is a huge mixed bag in terms of terms of resource usage.

If you're using stuff like premier or heavy 3d rendering then you'll want and i7-930 and an Nvidia GPU with CUDA.

That PSU is junk. Get a OCZ 550W modxstream or fatal1ty minimum. Preferably a corsair 650tx.

Yea...same with case. Get a Antec 300 Illusion or HAF 922.

Sound cards are unnecessary.

Why wireless card? What's wrong with a good ole cat5/6e?

THe 23.6" asus monitors are $40 cheaper and you can't tell the size difference.

For high end workstation tasks, Intel processors are better than AMD by far. However, intel introduces sockets on a yearly basis, so if you ever want to upgrade CPU, you'll need a new mobo too. AMD plans to keep socket am3 around for a while though.

m
l
July 13, 2010 1:49:26 PM

Thanks, I'll try to be more clear.

Apps will mainly be image and illustration apps like Photoshop, illustrator, Lightroom. And Dreamweaver for web. I'll also be using Office 2010. No video editing will be done.

I'll need a wireless card because that's my network setup at the moment and don't see myself running wires from the level below up to my room. It's almost safe to say the router is directly beneath this computer, one floor below.

Did not know I could rid the sound card option. Is the onboard audio on the mobos pretty good already?

Thanks for the PSU and case suggestions, I'll take that into heavy consideration. And for the monitor, I've read some reviews on Asus displays and some comments about color accuracy made me look elsewhere; I initially did look into asus though.

And I don't think I'll be heavily using it as a high-end workstation as it should, probably use those apps 2 - 3 days of the week.

Thanks for the advice, really helps.
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2010 5:19:25 AM

Monitors are a mature tech. Anything in the $150-$200 range from major companies is pretty much the same. Just pick best price for size and ports you want.

I like to give this analogy for Optical drives and it applies to monitors as well.

Asking which optical drive is best is like walking into staples and asking the clerk which pencil is the best. Sure some pencil are reviewed a bit better than others, and may offer more features, but at the end of the day, it's a pencil.

GPU wise I'd say a 5850 should be fine. I'll throw a build together tomorrow for you.
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:53:56 PM

Cool, that'll help a lot. I was a hair away from placing the order with your suggestions. I'll wait a little more. Should I hold off for the i5-760? Not just for another option but also the 750 may come down in price?
m
l

Best solution

July 14, 2010 3:20:30 PM

Workstation/gaming build

OPtical $19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD
F3 500gb $55

GPU
GTX 460 1gb $230

RAM
Ripjaw 1600 cas 7 $95 w/ promo code

Case/PSU
Antec 300 illusion and Earthwatts 650 $145 w/ $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Mobo/CPU
i7-860 and Asus p7p55D-E pro $453
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Monitor
23" Asus 1920x1080 $170 w/ $20 MIR

Promo codes: EMCYVYX35,EMCYVZP45,EMCYVYW52

Total: $1,164 including shipping before rebates

As for holding off, um, yes there will probably be a $10-$20 price drop, but I can't really tell you if you should hold off, not sure what that money means to you.

Performance wise, easily eclipsed with a mild overclock, so no issue there.

July 14, 2010 7:31:36 PM

This is almost the same as what I'm currently working on making.

I'll post the parts I have and parts that I will get soon.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (I got this for $145)

CPU & Case: M59 Case/ i5 CPU Combo
The i5 from Newegg isn't as cheap as Microcenter if I get it by itself, but with this combo, it comes out to be the same price as Microcenter ($225 Combo price - $50 for M59 Case = $175 i5)
(i5 @ Microcenter $170)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W (got it for $60)

RAM: Gskill ram(-$10 with promo = $95)

HDD: 1TB version of the Spinpoint F3 for $5 more with promo code: BEACH5. ($60)

ODD: Asus DVD burner ($19)

Wireless Adaptor: The same wireless adaptor for $20

Monitor: I think I will get this monitor for $160 with promo code: EMCYVZP43. (same price as the Asus banthracis recommended, but without dealing with rebates. It is a smaller screen size tho.)

GPU: I don't have a particular one decided, but I will probably get the 5850 for $300.

The motherboard and the psu deal are long gone, but I think some of the other deals may be of interest to you. With my setup, I'm looking at spending $1055 before tax and $0 on shipping. If I go with the GTX 460, I'll lower that total even more (-$70).
m
l
July 14, 2010 7:46:37 PM

Thanks. I've really taken in the suggestions from you two. I'll be buying on Monday so hopefully some of these deals and prices hold for a few days.

Nosotroes - the case and CPU combo looks great. I think the P7P55D Pro mobo is definite buy since it the pci won't be slowed down by using the usb 3 or sata6gb like the other asus P7P55 boards.

Looks like this should be a good solid build. I'm still debating on the GTX 460 or 5850. I feel like the 5850 can xfire down the road better than sli 460 but what do you guys think?

Any more help or suggestions will be great. Thanks again!
m
l
July 14, 2010 8:21:17 PM

Nosotros said:

Monitor: I think I will get this monitor for $160 with promo code: EMCYVZP43. (same price as the Asus banthracis recommended, but without dealing with rebates. It is a smaller screen size tho.)

I dunno, chopping off 1.5 inches is painful ;) 

Haven't seen a thorough review of the scaling yet, but from anandtechs numbers, and Tom's tease, it looks pretty good actually. ~184% of 1 card looks like. 5850 scaling is ~182%

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf1...
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

However, bear in mind, scaling is very driver dependent, and change quite often as each side releases new drivers.

To be honest, I expect a drop in 5850 prices in the next few weeks. Price/performance wise it's no longer that good thanks to 1gb gtx 460.
m
l
July 14, 2010 8:28:01 PM

Cool.

The GTX 460 sounds like the better buy at the moment. I'll be playing SC2 and Diablo 3 when that comes out. This setup looks like it'll handle those quite nicely at good quality settings. I have a PS3 that I'll want to use the monitor for.

I'm just concerned with having the correct colors and whatnot since I do moderate to heavy image-editing and using design and office apps.

This is coming together nice. Any suggestions for keyboards/mice or accessories? I have a razer diamondback that can still work quite good. It hasn't been abused as it should have when I bought it. The Razer Tron keyboard looks good. I want a nice looking keyboard for gaming while being ergonomic for the productivity stuff.
m
l
July 14, 2010 8:30:40 PM

Accessories is completely personal choice. Get w/e has features you want. General suggestions without fancy stuff are mx518 mouse and saitek Eclipse keyboard.
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:00:37 AM
July 21, 2010 3:26:13 AM

Looks good. You should consider upping the PSU to a 750 though if you plan on sli down the road.

Also make sure to look for combo's when you buy.
For example ud3r and i7 combo, that case combo's with a different optical to be cheaper overall, etc.

This XFX 750w PSU is $85 after MIR and promo code and if the highest rated PSU on jonny guru atm.
m
l
July 21, 2010 3:35:23 AM

Yeah saw that afterwards. I went with the Antec combo though, the Three Hundred Illusion and EarthWatts 650. Could've saved another $15 with the i7+UD3R combo. Ahh well.

I'm excited.

I need wireless hardware, should i go for Pci card or Usb? Again, the distance between the Linksys WRT54G router and the rig will be no more than 15ft, although they are on different floors. Basically the machine will be directly above the router but one floor above.

I already have an old school razer diamondback for mouse. Looking at the Logitech G110 keyboard.

Any thoughts on those 2 remaining pieces? Thanks again banthracis. Gonna choose your earlier post as best answer since it gave me lotta ideas.
m
l
July 21, 2010 3:35:57 AM

Best answer selected by whatupharry.
m
l
July 21, 2010 4:17:13 AM

Well I've got a USB wireless card for by desktop simply for the convenience factor, so I can still get online by "borrowing" when house router/connection has issues. Much less of an issue since I moved back to NYC.

I'm not the guy to ask about pro/con's of each though. I do know that if you plan using stuff like kismet, backtrack or airsnort you need certain chips.

m
l
!