Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best way to test a used GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2010 9:46:10 PM

Hello all.

So, I have the opportunity to pick up a HD 4850 X2 for rather cheap. Apparently is was bought just this December too, so hopefully it's in great condition.

My question is, how exactly should I go about testing it to make sure that it to make sure that it's in good condition? I'm certainly not bad with computer, but I definitely am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the real in detail specs.

All help appreciated thanks!

(Also, is there a search feature for the forum? For the life of me I can't find one.)

More about : test gpu

a c 124 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 9:54:00 PM

Well, if you want to test it's performance out a pretty typicall way is to use FurMark which is a free GPU test application. There's options for resolution and antialiasing etc and then you can run stability or benchmark runs.
You'll probably also want to get MSI Afterburner at the very least to monitor temps, and you can set custom fan profiles. If it's running hot you should check for dust in the heat sink.
m
l
June 3, 2010 9:58:18 PM

What exactly should I be looking for though? As far as a performance increase, my current card is a 7950 GT, so there isn't much of a comparison. I am more looking to make sure that the card isn't in bad condition.

I have used FurMark once before, just to do some overclocking, so I'm a bit familiar with it. Still, what exactly do I want to look at to make sure the card is not damaged. Note, I won't be able to compare to my current performance, as I will be testing it out at the house of the person I am buying it from.

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a c 124 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 10:01:49 PM

Oh I see. Well I guess the only things that matter are whether there's any visual damage, and if they run stable for 10 mins. Before you head over, try to find some 4850x2 benchmarks so you'll have something to compare to.
m
l
June 3, 2010 10:09:48 PM

Alright, thanks. I'm looking for some FurMark benchmarks right now, as that is easy enough to put on the computer myself.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 12:14:53 AM

Download EVGA Precission and OCCT or MSI Afterburner with Krombuster. Then run the Burn in test for ~30 minutes. Check temps and look out for any artifacts on the screen.
June 4, 2010 3:30:26 AM

Best answer selected by LankyJon.
m
l
!