Tim

How can you hide a mapped network drive on XPPro? I tried KB158457 but this
does not work with all users, only with the user that installed the nodrives
registry key? Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance
Tim

Short answer. Local Group Policy.
Go to Start -> Run and type gpedit.msc in the Open box and click
OK.
In the User Configuration branch navigate to this location:
Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
In the right hand pane take a look at the following policies:

Hide these specified drives in My Computer
Prevent access to drives from My Computer

Right click on each entry, select the Explanation tab and see
which one best accomplishes your goal.

Keep in mind that all users including Administrators will be
effected by this policy unless you follow the procedure outlined
in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B293655

An alternative approach, if you've disabled Simple File Sharing,
is to deny the Read permission for the Administrators group to
the %systemroot%\system32\GroupPolicy folder. The only drawback
with this approach is that you'll have to remove the deny every
time you want to change any group policy settings. Here's an
article that explains the procedure in more detail:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/gp07.htm
--
Nepatsfan
"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can you hide a mapped network drive on XPPro? I tried
> KB158457 but this
> does not work with all users, only with the user that installed
> the nodrives
> registry key? Any Ideas?
> Thanks in advance
> Tim

Tim

Nepatsfan
Thanks for the reply. This would answer our issue if I need to hide A-D
drives with a local policy but my issue is I need to hide a mapped network
drive i.e. G:\

I would preffer to make this a policy that I can control as an ADMIN at the
DC with a policy rather than at each local client with a local client policy.

Any additional ideas on this one?
Thanks again for the the help
Tim

Sorry that didn't help. Since you're looking to implement this
within a domain, you might want to consider posting your question
in one of the server newsgroups. Maybe someone can give you some
advice on creating a logon script that will implement that
registry change whenever a user logs on.

Here are a few possibiltiies:

Windows Group Policy:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windows.group_policy&sloc=en-us

Windows Server 2K General:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.win2000.general&sloc=en-us

Windows Server Scripting:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting&sloc=en-us

Good luck
--
> Nepatsfan
> Thanks for the reply. This would answer our issue if I need to
> hide A-D
> drives with a local policy but my issue is I need to hide a
> mapped network
> drive i.e. G:\
>
> I would preffer to make this a policy that I can control as an
> ADMIN at the
> DC with a policy rather than at each local client with a local
> client policy.
>
> Any additional ideas on this one?
> Thanks again for the the help
> Tim

If you haven't already found this ...

I believe it will work for XP too.

Using Group Policy Objects to hide specified drives in My Computer for
Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231289

Regards,

e-