External hard drive ticking and not working

lrregular

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hello,
I have this external hard drive that used to be my boyfriend's. I had it plugged into my laptop when my laptop accidentally got unplugged, which caused it to shut down improperly. Now when I plug in my hard drive, it makes a ticking like a clock and will not show up on my computer at all. I have a lot of important files on that hard drive and I can't replace them. Please tell me there's a way to fix this without losing those files.

lrregular

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

Well I don;t know if it's beyond repair, all I know is it won't work when I plug it into my computer. Also, I'm not very tech savvy so I don't know where an internal port is or what a mobo is. All I know is it's a Samsung hard drive.

Then in that case, you will need someone to help you out with the drive, the mobo is the motherboard.
Since it's a Samsung, the drive would most probably still be under warranty, in which case I'd advise against the opening of the casing, since it might void the warranty.
Try changing the alignment of the drive, I mean plug it in in the vertical position, that sometimes helps to recover the data that might be lost when you RMA the drive.