Best Mobo for i5-750

Opinions on the best Mobo for i5-750 processor.

Would like to entertain MAYBE using dual video cards later, not sure...could be happy with one if I find the right one (didn't want to spend more than $300 at this point).

Be used for: Gaming, winrar, movies (divx, blu ray, etc), digital photo work & website design (maybe will work with photoshop).

I like the Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case...it's sweet!

These are the mobo's I've heard about:

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 This one doesn't have that much good feedback on Newegg, so I plan to stay away from it.

GIGABYTE GA-P55 I don't think I can upgrade to dual video cards on this one...any opinions on it?

Thought about moving up to i7-930 just because this motherboard got such good feedback:
ASUS P6X58D-E

It's very confusing looking through all the feedback on Newegg. I know a lot of you say it's due to noobs on Newegg, but I'm a noob (and ashamed of it, but at least I admit it :)

Any thoughts or opinions or suggestions on the mobo?

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about best mobo
  1. The first one you've linked to is the best (P7P55D-E Pro). Newegg reviews mean nothing. Plus, when they first came out, there was a bad batch, which lead to more bad reviews.

If you do move to the i7-930, grab a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. It's the best X58 board out there (according to a review done here at Tom's), as well as being one of the cheapest.
  2. Yes the Asus P7P55D-E Pro is definitely one of the best P55 motherboards. However if you don't want or need SATA6G/USB3.0 then I'd recommend this: MSI P55-GD65 $160 (w/ $20 rebate).

When I read your statement about noobs it struck me that you shouldn't be taking the advice of other noobs, as noobs leading noobs must be a bit like the blind leading the blind.
  3. If you want to xfire P55 and SATA 6/USB 3, you're stuck with Asus for now. The the P7p55D-E Pro is really the only option.

Asrock and MSI do have slightly cheaper boards, but the former is cheap, and the latter I haven't seen any good review of yet.

GA boards can't xfire/sli and enable usb3/sata 6. In addition, if those 2 are enabled, it limits PCIe slot to x8, so no dual gpu on a stick cards either.

No need to move up. The asus is fine.
  4. Silvune said:
    Yes the Asus P7P55D-E Pro is definitely one of the best P55 motherboards. However if you don't want or need SATA6G/USB3.0 then I'd recommend this: MSI P55-GD65 $160 (w/ $20 rebate).

When I read your statement about noobs it struck me that you shouldn't be taking the advice of other noobs, as noobs leading noobs must be a bit like the blind leading the blind.

It's true! I am so blind that I just walked "smack" into the wall :lol:

But some of those reviews are indeed made by people who say they have high experience, but you never know.

Yeah, I am still caught between the i7-930 and the i5-750. The i5-750 seems to be the logical choice because I can spend the extra cash on a GPU. I'd spend about $150 or so more going to the i7-930 between RAM and Mobo, but in the end I still think it's worth getting the i5.

Thanks for all the input.
  5. banthracis said:
    If you want to xfire P55 and SATA 6/USB 3, you're stuck with Asus for now. The the P7p55D-E Pro is really the only option.

Asrock and MSI do have slightly cheaper boards, but the former is cheap, and the latter I haven't seen any good review of yet.

GA boards can't xfire/sli and enable usb3/sata 6. In addition, if those 2 are enabled, it limits PCIe slot to x8, so no dual gpu on a stick cards either.

No need to move up. The asus is fine.

Yeah, I'll stick with ASUS. You guys are right.
    Thanks!
  6. The experience level on Newegg reviews is self assessed. I wouldn't trust the typical user reviewer with any more advanced than a pointy stick.

Stick with the i5. Or look at an AMD X4 955 build. It'll save you another $100, and wouldn't affect performance much. You'd also leave yourself an upgrade path.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Graphics Cards Intel i5 Systems Product