Sign in with
Your question

Best Mobo for i5-750

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 3:46:02 PM

Opinions on the best Mobo for i5-750 processor.

Would like to entertain MAYBE using dual video cards later, not sure...could be happy with one if I find the right one (didn't want to spend more than $300 at this point).

Be used for: Gaming, winrar, movies (divx, blu ray, etc), digital photo work & website design (maybe will work with photoshop).

I like the Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case...it's sweet!

These are the mobo's I've heard about:

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 This one doesn't have that much good feedback on Newegg, so I plan to stay away from it.

GIGABYTE GA-P55 I don't think I can upgrade to dual video cards on this one...any opinions on it?

Thought about moving up to i7-930 just because this motherboard got such good feedback:
ASUS P6X58D-E

It's very confusing looking through all the feedback on Newegg. I know a lot of you say it's due to noobs on Newegg, but I'm a noob (and ashamed of it, but at least I admit it :) 

Any thoughts or opinions or suggestions on the mobo?

Thanks!

More about : mobo 750

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 3:53:41 PM

The first one you've linked to is the best (P7P55D-E Pro). Newegg reviews mean nothing. Plus, when they first came out, there was a bad batch, which lead to more bad reviews.

If you do move to the i7-930, grab a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. It's the best X58 board out there (according to a review done here at Tom's), as well as being one of the cheapest.
m
l
July 13, 2010 3:57:32 PM

Yes the Asus P7P55D-E Pro is definitely one of the best P55 motherboards. However if you don't want or need SATA6G/USB3.0 then I'd recommend this: MSI P55-GD65 $160 (w/ $20 rebate).

When I read your statement about noobs it struck me that you shouldn't be taking the advice of other noobs, as noobs leading noobs must be a bit like the blind leading the blind.
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 4:05:02 PM

If you want to xfire P55 and SATA 6/USB 3, you're stuck with Asus for now. The the P7p55D-E Pro is really the only option.

Asrock and MSI do have slightly cheaper boards, but the former is cheap, and the latter I haven't seen any good review of yet.

GA boards can't xfire/sli and enable usb3/sata 6. In addition, if those 2 are enabled, it limits PCIe slot to x8, so no dual gpu on a stick cards either.

No need to move up. The asus is fine.

m
l
July 13, 2010 4:07:46 PM

Silvune said:
Yes the Asus P7P55D-E Pro is definitely one of the best P55 motherboards. However if you don't want or need SATA6G/USB3.0 then I'd recommend this: MSI P55-GD65 $160 (w/ $20 rebate).

When I read your statement about noobs it struck me that you shouldn't be taking the advice of other noobs, as noobs leading noobs must be a bit like the blind leading the blind.

It's true! I am so blind that I just walked "smack" into the wall :lol: 

But some of those reviews are indeed made by people who say they have high experience, but you never know.

Yeah, I am still caught between the i7-930 and the i5-750. The i5-750 seems to be the logical choice because I can spend the extra cash on a GPU. I'd spend about $150 or so more going to the i7-930 between RAM and Mobo, but in the end I still think it's worth getting the i5.

Thanks for all the input.
m
l
July 13, 2010 4:10:25 PM

banthracis said:
If you want to xfire P55 and SATA 6/USB 3, you're stuck with Asus for now. The the P7p55D-E Pro is really the only option.

Asrock and MSI do have slightly cheaper boards, but the former is cheap, and the latter I haven't seen any good review of yet.

GA boards can't xfire/sli and enable usb3/sata 6. In addition, if those 2 are enabled, it limits PCIe slot to x8, so no dual gpu on a stick cards either.

No need to move up. The asus is fine.

Yeah, I'll stick with ASUS. You guys are right.
Thanks!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:12:34 PM

The experience level on Newegg reviews is self assessed. I wouldn't trust the typical user reviewer with any more advanced than a pointy stick.

Stick with the i5. Or look at an AMD X4 955 build. It'll save you another $100, and wouldn't affect performance much. You'd also leave yourself an upgrade path.
m
l
!