Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How much juice do I need?

Last response: in Components
September 10, 2010 7:10:36 PM

Alrighty then so I have been poking around to upgrade my computer (its pretty new but I am already itching to beef it up). This is what I have right now:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Processor: i7-930 (stock 2.8ghz)
Graphics: 1x Asus EAH5850 DIRECTCU Radeon HD 5850 (not the OC'd version, but comes with ASUS OC software)
Ram: 6GB Kingston DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Case: AZZA Solano 1000
HDD: 1x WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM 1TB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
And a crappy Samsung DVDRW

So what I want to do is get another 5850 with which to crossfire, as well as making sure I have enough headroom to have 4 HDD's for RAID 10, OR some SSD's (eventually when they aren't godawfully expensive). I spent a lot of time over the last few days looking at everything there is to know about PSUs and the power requirements of what I might want, but I still don't feel sure. I feel like a 750w (newegg has a very highly rated relatively cheap one) is pushing it as far as being for sure enough. At the same time I don' t want to just say whatever and grab a 1000 watts (because I don't want to spend the money on it now and I don't want to be paying for it with electricity forever).

If this matters, I have a watt meter connected to my current setup and running games on highest settings 1680x1050 I rarely go over 220 watts. I think the max it recorded was 280 and that was probably when I was running prime95 (i7 is a power hog). The article stickied at the top of the PSU, cases & mods section says that my card draws only 150 watts under full load (and I kind of believe it, Tom's charts and my experience validate it).

In a nutshell, I am now turning to everyone here for advice. Ideas for what I need, what I should get, what would be awesome, just general advice would be great.

Edit: Forgot, I want enough power to eventually be able to OC both the processor and the 2 videocards (although I have heard that the 5850 doesn't OC very well, anyone know anything about that?).

More about : juice

a c 165 ) Power supply
September 10, 2010 7:20:17 PM

750w from xfx, seasonic, corsair, or antec
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2010 7:29:04 PM

That PSU has multi-rail design, and for feeding the graphic cards and the peripherals you will have the 25A of the +12V2. The 25A +12V1 feeds the ATX and EPS connectors. The max combinated output on the +12V is 504W. Two 5850 in CF need 275W at full load (more or less).
In my opinion, you will have more than enough power. Anyway, don't forget that you will need to use a couple of molex-to-PCIe adapters, which is not recommended, but there isn't another way since the PSU doesn't have the four PCIe connectors that you will need.
Score
Related resources
September 10, 2010 7:35:49 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
That PSU has multi-rail design, and for feeding the graphic cards and the peripherals you will have the 25A of the +12V2. The 25A +12V1 feeds the ATX and EPS connectors. The max combinated output on the +12V is 504W. Two 5850 in CF need 275W at full load (more or less).
In my opinion, you will have more than enough power. Anyway, don't forget that you will need to use a couple of molex-to-PCIe adapters, which is not recommended, but there isn't another way since the PSU doesn't have the four PCIe connectors that you will need.

So you think that the psu I have right now is enough power? So if I were to upgrade to the 750 watt from corsair that was mentioned above your post I would be more than set? (I have a friend that would pick up my psu from me so I don't really mind upgrading if it will ensure protection for my performance and hardware). This is the PSU I am referring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I value electrical safety for my hardware and for the purpose of fire protection more than a few dollars for the record.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2010 8:02:14 PM

DptBear said:
So you think that the psu I have right now is enough power? So if I were to upgrade to the 750 watt from corsair that was mentioned above your post I would be more than set? (I have a friend that would pick up my psu from me so I don't really mind upgrading if it will ensure protection for my performance and hardware). This is the PSU I am referring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I value electrical safety for my hardware and for the purpose of fire protection more than a few dollars for the record.

A 600W PSU with four 6-pin PCIe connectors is recommended for running a couple of 5850 in SLI.
However, if you can sell your PSU and if it is not a problem for you paying for the TX750, I recommend you to do the change since it has all the connectors that you need and you will have a lot of room for future upgrades. There is no doubt about it.
September 10, 2010 11:21:53 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
A 600W PSU with four 6-pin PCIe connectors is recommended for running a couple of 5850 in SLI.
However, if you can sell your PSU and if it is not a problem for you paying for the TX750, I recommend you to do the change since it has all the connectors that you need and you will have a lot of room for future upgrades. There is no doubt about it.

Thanks so much that's really good to know. You wouldn't happen to know if there is a downside/upside to going modular instead of standard? Its a lot less crowded without the large mass of cables. However my case is huge (bottom mounted PSU as well) and I can afford the space if I need to.
Score
September 18, 2010 1:33:43 AM

Best answer selected by DptBear.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 18, 2010 3:46:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!