simply_j

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi all,

All of a sudden an IDE drive of mine wont boot.

The mainboard is an AOpen MX46-533V.

The drive shows up in BIOS fine and when I set to boot off C: in BIOS all that happens is Disk Boot Error after lines of random code starting with SiS900 PXE BootROM v1.09 Hook Int18

Ive Googled this and it seems to be trying to boot from Network.

Ive booted from Windows CD and went to repair install but it didnt find any previous versions of Windows installed. It saw the drive fine and the amount of disc space used but no Windows installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Goldfolk

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Most likely drive has corrupted which may be a sign of drive failure or could be just random corruption.

If you don't have data on the drive you can just reformat and try re-installing, otherwise:

Ideally try drive in another computer to see if contents are readable by another machine.

If it can be read by another computer then drive controller or cable fault.

Simple things first though so try switching cables just in case, then try in another computer.

If you have a second drive in the machine try installing windows there and seeing if you can read off the affected drive.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
In high tech terms one might say your Windows is hosed. It happens, that's why we have backups.

If the old drive is a 7 year old 80G PATA get what you can off it and strip it down so you can play with the platters. If it's a 500G roxor from the Egg and is less than 30 days old get your stuff off it and RMA it. In between, you decide.

simply_j

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks for the replies,

Just an update, I plugged the drive into another machine as a slave drive and was able to get all my data off it no problems.

I then put the drive back into its original system and went to format and did a clean Windows install. Everything went fine until the computer goes to restart after copying across the Windows files.

When the computer goes to boot up to start the next stage of the Windows installation it stalls at the start, same as before, same error.

Any ideas?

sartris

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

I also get the SIS900 PXE BootRom v1.09b Hook Int18". I keep reading about disabling boot from network but the PhoenixBios A06 won't provide me that option. It is a brand new hard drive (the 1nd one I have received directly from Dell) additionally it is a 250 GB hard drive but the bios sees 137 GB. I don't know where it is getting that number though... Any insight? I am about to just pay the multi-headed beast (Dell) to come and fix it.