Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX (2)480 vs ATI (1)5970??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 4, 2010 12:13:09 AM

Okay i am finalizing my current build but i am stuck on which card(s) to get. I have read a bunch of reviews and it looks as if the GTX has more future tech in it. Im running a asus rampage 3 mobo with 6gbs of mushkin ram i also plan on using dual monitors.Oh, also running with a intel i7 930 . thanx

More about : gtx 480 ati 5970

June 4, 2010 12:38:22 AM

Gonna read that article right now but....what about the heat and power usage, im not that familiar with water cooling and dont want to go down that road right now. With the 5970 i would be able to grab another one around xmas and put them in crossfire. Also does the GTX having CUDA & Phys X really matter all that much doesn't radeon have anything like that in their 5970 card?
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 12:42:37 AM

Get two 5870's instead of either of your first choices. Nvidia cards are really nice in sli right now but the heat and power issues arent worth risking.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 12:43:18 AM

2x 480 = $1000-1100
1 5970 ~ $700

Two GTX480s will have better performance since a 5970 performs equal to two 5850s. But a 5970 runs much cooler and use less electricity. 2 GTX480s also require at least a 850watt or preferably a 1000watt if you plan to overclock.

A 5970 requires a 750watt if you want to overclock, and 850 watt if you plan to heavily overclock. A 5970 I would say can overclock better than a GTX480 too, since it's two high quality binned 5870s downclocked to 5850 levels. You should be able to overclock to at least 5870 levels and over.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 12:44:18 AM

If you want to get quad 5970s, I suggest you get dual or triple 5870s instead.

A 5970 is downclocked so performs equal to two 5850s.
m
0
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 12:47:27 AM

Twin 480's will be substantially more $ than the 5970. You might consider twin 470's for the same price which would drop you down to an 850 watt PSU also. Heat and power are a non issue as long as PSU and PSU selection is appropriate.

The 5970 isn't really an option, especially not w/ the no. of R3E slots available.....

Twin 5850's beat the hell out of the 5970 for $100 less....and twin 470's substantially top the 5850's while matching the 5970's price.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-s...


Might want to consider that for just a bit more than twin 480's you could do three 470's .... and the 470's have substantially more OC headroom than the 480's do .

Here's your system w/ 3 470's :)  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25...

Benchies start here....see bottom graphs http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-s...

Conclusion http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-s...

"But yea, truth is ... 3-way SLI is interesting in a geeky kind of way yet a too expensive venture, but 2-way SLI on GeForce GTX 470 actually makes a lot of sense. Money wise it certainly is a whole lot cheaper than two GTX 480 cards and the performance levels are downright magnificent."

I would recommend getting the Asus 470/480 since , if you have any issues, you don't want MoBo vendor to have an easy get you off the phone move by blaming the GFX card vendor. :) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

If it were me, I'd buy twin 470's and tuck the $300 away for a 3rd if you find you need it to handle some as yet unreleased game.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 12:52:36 AM

I saw this on another website today and the 470 lost badly to the 5870 with new drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-r...

Its hard to know what to trust when you see the gtx 470 lose badly to the 5850 like it does here.
m
0
l
June 4, 2010 1:08:02 AM

What about the added software in the GTX models CUDA, PhysX could this make them better in the long run with better drivers?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:10:22 AM

mjakachira said:
What about the added software in the GTX models CUDA, PhysX could this make them better in the long run with better drivers?


Those features are useful only if you actually use them with certain programs or applications.
m
0
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:12:41 AM

Quote:
I saw this on another website today and the 470 lost badly to the 5870 with new drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-r...

Its hard to know what to trust when you see the gtx 470 lose badly to the 5850 like it does here.


I think what you'll find is that you can change the results quite easily by changing what games or even what resolution / settings you use.

-DX10 benchies favor the ATI 5xxx series while DX11 favors nVidia 4xx.....if the test suite is heavily populated with DX11 games, nVidia seems to come out on top .... more DX10 games favor ATI.....purchasers gotta ask themselves what they will be playing for the next 3 years and decide accordingly.

-The higher one cranks up the detail and AA / AAF settings, the better nVidia looks .... at lower settings, ATI does better.

-Tesselation - this is DX11 's big thing and the more tesselation is cranked up, the better image quality.....this is the one area where nVidia really shines.

-Nvidia seems to have found a "sweet spot" at 1920 x 1200 ..... Seen a few benchies where ATI loses at 1920 and wins both above and below. Again, purchasers has to be mindful of what resolution they will be playing at ignore benchies at other resolutions.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:16:15 AM

JackNP, when is the next gen ATI/Nvidia GPUs coming out? I heard rumors that ATI is releasing the next wave late this year or early next year or something...
m
0
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:19:50 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
JackNP, when is the next gen ATI/Nvidia GPUs coming out? I heard rumors that ATI is releasing the next wave late this year or early next year or something...


Everybody likes to come out w/ new stuff before XMas .... just in time for shopping season .... but methinks we ain't gonna see any "new generation" stuff this season.....I'm expecting a rehash .....in other words, not Cypress2 or Fermi2 but Fermi and Cypress Rev B :) 
m
0
l
June 4, 2010 1:23:49 AM

WOW huh... great info, even its a little scary since it s my first time. I think that i will go with two GTX 480's, my PSU is rated Silver at 1050 watts and i dont really plan to overclock my cpu past 3.6 or 3.8. Ill take another look at the 5970 but i think that SLI will be the way to go. I'll post my system as i get parts in and once everything is hooked and running. Any remaining advice would be greatly greatly appreciated thanx
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:36:40 AM

Honestly I would recommend two GTX470s or two 5850s since they cost significantly less than two GTX480s.

It all depends on your monitor resolution or what you're running...


m
0
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:38:30 AM

mjakachira said:
What about the added software in the GTX models CUDA, PhysX could this make them better in the long run with better drivers?


CUDA, PhysX and 3D Vision are nVidia specific and in most cases application specific .... kinda like DX11, you won't benefit from having DX11 card on a DX10 game.

You won't benefit from PhysX capability unless the game employs PhysX features .... and if a game is so enabled, the result is quite impressive.

You won't benefit from 3D Vision capability w/o a 120 MHz monitor and the 3D Glasses kit.

The card's CUDA and tessellation capabilities however seem to be expanding every couple of weeks and while the tessellation results on image quality are immediately obvious, the CUDA stuff just seems to be advancing a bit more and more each month.

You can read more about these features here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 1:58:40 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I think what you'll find is that you can change the results quite easily by changing what games or even what resolution / settings you use.

-DX10 benchies favor the ATI 5xxx series while DX11 favors nVidia 4xx.....if the test suite is heavily populated with DX11 games, nVidia seems to come out on top .... more DX10 games favor ATI.....purchasers gotta ask themselves what they will be playing for the next 3 years and decide accordingly.



-The higher one cranks up the detail and AA / AAF settings, the better nVidia looks .... at lower settings, ATI does better.

-Tesselation - this is DX11 's big thing and the more tesselation is cranked up, the better image quality.....this is the one area where nVidia really shines.

-Nvidia seems to have found a "sweet spot" at 1920 x 1200 ..... Seen a few benchies where ATI loses at 1920 and wins both above and below. Again, purchasers has to be mindful of what resolution they will be playing at ignore benchies at other resolutions.
[/quote]

You seem to favour the nvidia cards a lot but if what you say is true why is almost every website on the net saying the 5870 or 5850 are much better cards overall?

That one i linked there has the 480 just beating the 5870 but costing much more that its not worth it. I read the comments too and most of them say the same thing, the 5850 beats the gt470 in most of the games and costs less and is less hot and power hungry.
m
0
l
!