Linux UT Server Issues

Hi all, I recently found this newsgroup and was quite pleased to see
it exists.

I admin a UT server (I have for years now, so assume a high level of
skills on my part, plus I'm an electrical engineer, so I know what I'm
doing, designed lots of Intel based puters and have programmed in 10
or so languages, including for windows, so I'm no dummy). Anyway, we
are running on Linux Redhat 9 and I continue to struggle with why the
UT server is sending such huge amounts of data compared to other Linux
UT servers. In particular, the server is setup with a tick of 30-35
(server provider does not care what tick rate we run) and data rates
from the server become large, approaching 10k bytes/sec when there is
lots of action in a 12 man game (open map btw) and the client netspeed
is set to 10000. I think this data rate is inundating the clients and
perhaps the server. Interestingly, the packets/sec rate tracks the
tick rate, if I set tick to 35, my client machine receives 35
packets/sec. When I play on windows based UT servers, I never see
data rates this large.

I setup a Linux server on my local machine with the same ipdrv
settings (running Mandrake 9.2) and I can set the tick rate up to 50
and do not see the packets/sec rate exceed 25 until tick is set to 50
or higher. If I set tick rate to 35, I receive 25 packets/sec. This
is really odd. Now, I connected to my local Linux machine via the
internet by running the Linux machine on my DSL connection, then
connecting to it via my Comcast connection, to simulate a true
"internet connection" for comparative purposes. The odd thing is with
all the ipdrv settings the same in both servers, my local Linux UT
server never outputs the same amount of data to clients as the server
my clan uses for UT described above.

If anyone has some insights, thoughts, comments, they would be greatly
appreciated.

Here is the IP of out team server if anyone cares to have a look:
unreal://69.13.248.161

--
Best regards,
The_Rifleman

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:53:55 -0500, Kylesb wrote:

> If anyone has some insights, thoughts, comments, they would be greatly
> appreciated.

You might find some information that'll help you at

<http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=printpage&artid=15#Introduction>
<http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=printpage&artid=15#Addendum>

ps. Watch the line wrap.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:c75tf2$2vfi$1@ID-57815.news.uni-
berlin.de:

> Hi all, I recently found this newsgroup and was quite pleased to see
> it exists.

I've also been collecting some server resource links at my site:

<http://matureasskickers.net/m/links/category.php?did=6
&lid=&linkcategoryid=18>

I'd be interested in hearing what you find. I'm running a Linux UT2004
server, private at the moment. What do you use to measure your packet rate?

Pressing F6 on the UT client displays packets/sec (in and out) on UT
and UT2k4.

Our clan also has a 2k4 server up and running, guess we gonna be a
"crossover" clan, lol.

I've been all over the net and searched UT resources til I'm blue in
the face, I really think the differing packet rate issue is Linux
specific, and I'm not a top notch penguin-head (yet) to identify what
the difference in the 2 systems might be.

I passed one of your mod links along to our 2k4 "head" admin. thanks
for the links.

And yes, I top post, as I've always been a bit of a rebel, hehe. I
hate scrolling to the bottom of a 100 line post to see "yup, I agree".

--
Best regards,
Kyle

On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:30:55 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Pressing F6 on the UT client displays packets/sec (in and out) on UT
>and UT2k4.
>
>Our clan also has a 2k4 server up and running, guess we gonna be a
>"crossover" clan, lol.
>
>I've been all over the net and searched UT resources til I'm blue in
>the face, I really think the differing packet rate issue is Linux
>specific, and I'm not a top notch penguin-head (yet) to identify what
>the difference in the 2 systems might be.
>
>I passed one of your mod links along to our 2k4 "head" admin. thanks
>for the links.
>
>And yes, I top post, as I've always been a bit of a rebel, hehe. I
>hate scrolling to the bottom of a 100 line post to see "yup, I agree".

I used to rent a server from a hosting company that specializes in UT
hosting on Linux. They are nice guys, so even though you are not a
customer, they would probably still answer your question. They have a
lot of expertise and may know the answer. Contact them here:
admin@fragism.com

Andrew

On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:30:55 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>And yes, I top post, as I've always been a bit of a rebel, hehe. I
>hate scrolling to the bottom of a 100 line post to see "yup, I agree".

That is bottom posting done badly.

yea, maybe I should contact, um, what's his name. . . oh yes,
Bus_error, does that sound right?

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
| On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:30:55 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
|
| >Pressing F6 on the UT client displays packets/sec (in and out) on
UT
| >and UT2k4.
| >
| >Our clan also has a 2k4 server up and running, guess we gonna be a
| >"crossover" clan, lol.
| >
| >I've been all over the net and searched UT resources til I'm blue
in
| >the face, I really think the differing packet rate issue is Linux
| >specific, and I'm not a top notch penguin-head (yet) to identify
what
| >the difference in the 2 systems might be.
| >
| >I passed one of your mod links along to our 2k4 "head" admin.
thanks
| >for the links.
| >
| >And yes, I top post, as I've always been a bit of a rebel, hehe. I
| >hate scrolling to the bottom of a 100 line post to see "yup, I
agree".

| I used to rent a server from a hosting company that specializes in
UT
| hosting on Linux. They are nice guys, so even though you are not a
| customer, they would probably still answer your question. They have
| lot of expertise and may know the answer. Contact them here:
| admin@fragism.com

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:c76h6t$brnk$1@ID-57815.news.uni-
berlin.de:

> I passed one of your mod links along to our 2k4 "head" admin. thanks
> for the links.

Visit the Atari Community forums (link is in the MOTD inside the game).
There's a forum just for server administration.

> And yes, I top post, as I've always been a bit of a rebel, hehe. I
> hate scrolling to the bottom of a 100 line post to see "yup, I agree".

Here's a good article addressing this:

http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/bottom-posting.html

Lemme know what you think!

Heh, the web site you linked to reveals the other reason top posting
occurs, MS OE and Outlook stick your signature at the top, promoting
top posting. I knew I had another good excuse for top posting, :).
Other than that item, it's a decent read for beginners, but I gave up
on cutting/pasting my sig to the bottom of the post and editing posts
for the interleaved approach. I'll have a look at the Atari forums,
been there recently to read about the "apparent death" of the UT
master server (and it's actual scheduled demise date).

--
message news:Xns94E37744D7A2scratchmonkey@216.196.97.136...

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2gbfc6FrpsjU1@uni-berlin.de:

> Heh, the web site you linked to reveals the other reason top posting
> occurs, MS OE and Outlook stick your signature at the top, promoting
> top posting. I knew I had another good excuse for top posting, :).

Even better, switch to a newsreader *designed* for newsgroups. For
instance, I like the free Xnews, but you'll find a ton of readers at
http://www.newsreaders.com/ and support in news:news.software.readers .

(I like Xnews' scoring system, which lets me indicate keywords to look for
in headers and color-codes the article list to show what I should read, and
hides the articles I never want to see. For instance, I have a score for
Linux in this group, so your post popped right out amidst the clutter. I
read a lot of groups, so quickly finding the wheat amidst the chaff is very
important to me.)

Meltdown

Kylesb enlightened us with:
> Heh, the web site you linked to reveals the other reason top posting
> occurs, MS OE and Outlook stick your signature at the top, promoting
> top posting. I knew I had another good excuse for top posting, :).

Broken software isn't an excuse.

> Other than that item, it's a decent read for beginners, but I gave up
> on cutting/pasting my sig to the bottom of the post and editing posts
> for the interleaved approach.

Then use "Quotefix" for OE, and you'll be a happy man. You can
bottom-post no worries (just remember to snip all unneeded quoted text),
you get nice colors, nice smileys, and the broken quoting is fixed :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

As always, there are adherents to many causes, old time customs and
religions. As I'm a Usenet atheist (refusing to subscribe to any
particular beliefs about usenet or the internet), the fervor over top
or bottom posting is neither here nor there to me, but since you've
gone to the trouble to find a web site with a bottom-post religious
zealot's commentary and analysis, I've located for your review, some
comments from top-posting zealots.

http://www.lionsgrove.com/topposting.html
http://www.newsservers.co.uk/thugs.php
http://www.abpsp.fsworld.co.uk/umb/

As a person who currently makes a living participating in arguments
and disputes on behalf of others, I find generally the best approach
is to accept the practices and habits of others that do not cause harm
or substantially interfere with one's existence or experiences on this
planet.

My history with computers and networked systems dates back to the late
1970's when I first designed industrial applications of Intel
processor based systems, and also programmed those systems. Given my
near ancient exposure to such systems (my design work began within a
few years of Intel's introduction of the first general purpose 8-bit
8080 processor), it is my impression that unenforceable human
behavioral standards advocated with respect to the use and application
of computers are typically set forth by those who seek to assert
control in an arena in which such persons or organizations, in
reality, have no control. As long as posters are not rude, crude, or
socially unacceptable in their language, I find most any style of
understandably formatted communication acceptable.

Preferences are just that, preferences, and I strive to accept and
accommodate the preferences of others. Were I to have a say, I'd
eliminate interleaved posts, as a few layers of interleaving can
render a post such a mess that sorting out "who" said "what" can be a
large waste of time.

Your assertion that certain software is "broken" because it does not
function as you believe it should is an opinion you are entitled to,
but not necessarily the opinion of others. I rather get a kick out
the statement that any program is "broken software" to support an
argument regarding a style or practice that is advocated as a
"concrete standard" but in reality is merely a request for conformity.
I see the operational functionality of OE as useful yet merely an
example of software that functions in a certain fashion, not
necessarily functioning in the "best" fashion (the best design would
be an email/usenet client that is fully configurable to create a reply
with optional top or bottom posting at the click of a button). There
is no real standard, or those posting in alternative styles, contrary
to the style you advocate, would have their accounts blocked from
usenet access. What exists are multiple styles of formatting, and any
reasonable person should realize there are valid bases why both camps
have sound reasons for advocating top posting or bottom posting. In
the end, any advocated custom or standard that is not adhered to by
the masses is no longer a standard, but rather an "old" or "outdated"
standard or custom.

I hope you take my comments with a grain of salt, they are not meant
to be taken in any fashion other than "here's my perspective". I'm
guilty of top and bottom posting, so you see, I am, in reality, one
who practices both religions, and also one who finds it difficult to
accept all the tenets of either religion as gospel.

There, I've spoke my peace, so lets get on with the UT discussions.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in
message news:slrnca12bj.4je.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com...
| Kylesb enlightened us with:
| > Heh, the web site you linked to reveals the other reason top
posting
| > occurs, MS OE and Outlook stick your signature at the top,
promoting
| > top posting. I knew I had another good excuse for top posting,
:).

| Broken software isn't an excuse.
|
| > Other than that item, it's a decent read for beginners, but I gave
up
| > on cutting/pasting my sig to the bottom of the post and editing
posts
| > for the interleaved approach.
|
| Then use "Quotefix" for OE, and you'll be a happy man. You can
| bottom-post no worries (just remember to snip all unneeded quoted
text),
| you get nice colors, nice smileys, and the broken quoting is fixed
:)

| MeltDown
| --
| !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ
section:
| ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
| !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

ScratchMonkey enlightened us with:
> (I like Xnews' scoring system, which lets me indicate keywords to look for
> in headers and color-codes the article list to show what I should read, and
> hides the articles I never want to see.

Same goes for slrn

> For instance, I have a score for Linux in this group, so your post
> popped right out amidst the clutter. I read a lot of groups, so
> quickly finding the wheat amidst the chaff is very important to me.)

I usually give people I like a +100 score, so the threads they post in
automatically float to the top of the list. Nice feature ;-)

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> schrieb:

>ScratchMonkey enlightened us with:
>> (I like Xnews' scoring system, which lets me indicate keywords to look for
>> in headers and color-codes the article list to show what I should read, and
>> hides the articles I never want to see.
>
>Same goes for slrn
>
>> For instance, I have a score for Linux in this group, so your post
>> popped right out amidst the clutter. I read a lot of groups, so
>> quickly finding the wheat amidst the chaff is very important to me.)
>
>I usually give people I like a +100 score, so the threads they post in
>automatically float to the top of the list. Nice feature ;-)
>
>MeltDown
uhm, u just lost 50 points doing a re- as a top post... ;-)

On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:54:17 -0500, Kylesb wrote:

> Preferences are just that, preferences,

.... and it's my preference to use that "Reply-to" header of yours.

> and I strive to accept and accommodate the preferences of others.

You're a real hero.

> Were I to have a say, I'd eliminate interleaved posts

Like this, y'mean?

> , as a few layers of interleaving can render a post such a mess that
> sorting out "who" said "what" can be a large waste of time.

Cool.

> Your assertion that certain software is "broken" because it does not
> function as you believe it should is an opinion you are entitled to,
> but not necessarily the opinion of others.

Oh really?
http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/gnksa-evaluations.html
http://tinyurl.com/6x0f

> I rather get a kick out
> the statement that any program is "broken software" to support an
> argument regarding a style or practice that is advocated as a
> "concrete standard" but in reality is merely a request for conformity.

Stop by news://news.software.readers sometime.

> I see the operational functionality of OE as useful yet merely an
> example of software that functions in a certain fashion, not
> necessarily functioning in the "best" fashion (the best design would
> be an email/usenet client that is fully configurable to create a reply
> with optional top or bottom posting at the click of a button).

You must adore MICROS~1's other features. Take time out to read up on them
all. There was a belting one that started like this:

begin JDSS433L.EXE.VBS

.... but I'm pretty sure that Micro$oft have that nailed. After all, it was
only in Outhouse Excuse for a number of years.

> There is no real standard, or those posting in alternative styles,
> contrary to the style you advocate, would have their accounts blocked
> from usenet access.

Heh right.

> What exists are multiple styles of formatting, and any reasonable person
> should realize there are valid bases why both camps have sound reasons
> for advocating top posting or bottom posting.

You missed out "interleaved posting".

> In the end, any advocated custom or standard that is not adhered to by
> the masses is no longer a standard, but rather an "old" or "outdated"
> standard or custom.

MICROS~1 know all about standards, don't they?

> I hope you take my comments with a grain of salt, they are not meant
> to be taken in any fashion other than "here's my perspective".

Likewise.

> I'm guilty of top and bottom posting

Likewise:
http://tinyurl.com/3cp9s

> , so you see, I am, in reality, one who practices both religions, and
> also one who finds it difficult to accept all the tenets of either
> religion as gospel.

Yep, a real hero.

> There, I've spoke my peace, so lets get on with the UT discussions.

Likewise.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:54:17 -0500, Kylesb wrote:
|
| > Preferences are just that, preferences,
|
| ... and it's my preference to use that "Reply-to" header of yours.
|
| > and I strive to accept and accommodate the preferences of others.
|
| You're a real hero.
|
| > Were I to have a say, I'd eliminate interleaved posts
|
| Like this, y'mean?
|
| > , as a few layers of interleaving can render a post such a mess
that
| > sorting out "who" said "what" can be a large waste of time.
|
| Cool.
|
| > Your assertion that certain software is "broken" because it does
not
| > function as you believe it should is an opinion you are entitled
to,
| > but not necessarily the opinion of others.
|
| Oh really?
| http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/gnksa-evaluations.html
| http://tinyurl.com/6x0f
|
| > I rather get a kick out
| > the statement that any program is "broken software" to support an
| > argument regarding a style or practice that is advocated as a
| > "concrete standard" but in reality is merely a request for
conformity.

| Stop by news://news.software.readers sometime.
|
| > I see the operational functionality of OE as useful yet merely an
| > example of software that functions in a certain fashion, not
| > necessarily functioning in the "best" fashion (the best design
would
| > be an email/usenet client that is fully configurable to create a
reply
| > with optional top or bottom posting at the click of a button).
|
| You must adore MICROS~1's other features. Take time out to read up
on them
| all. There was a belting one that started like this:

LMAO

This was the end of your worthless reply post in my newsreader client.
I did not see any more of your less than polite comments until I
examined the actual message source.

But, I guess you are a real god of computers, and already know how
your lil VBS script failed to achieve its intended purpose.

--
Without regards,
Kyle

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:c7r916$fkm$1@inews.gazeta.pl:

> Stop by news://news.software.readers sometime.

Technical error. The double-slash introduces a host name, but you've not
supplied a host, just the newsgroup name on a host (which would go after
another slash following the hostname). If you don't want to specify a host,
the newsgroup should immediately follow the colon delimiting the protocol
field.

Examples:

Connects to a news server that used to be operated by Loki. No newsgroup
specified.

Connects to the loki.games.tribes2 group on the aforementioned server.

Connects to this group on the default server.

JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in

> Do you know how many times I had to rewrap and
> reformat the text in this message to this point?

Manually?! With Xnews I can select a block of badly-formatted text
(including quoted paragraphs), right-click, and select Rewrap and Join
Lines, and it gets automagically reformatted. I won't consider any
replacement that lacks this feature.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2gclqlF16s1sU1@uni-berlin.de:

> since you've gone to the trouble to find a web site with a bottom-post
> religious zealot's commentary and analysis, I've located for your
> review, some comments from top-posting zealots.

Funny, he didn't seem like a zealot. It looked to me like he was making
valid arguments about how interleaved posting with proper trimming helped
all involved in expediting communication, which I think is our objective
here. Can you point out the zealot part? I musta missed it.

> http://www.lionsgrove.com/topposting.html
> http://www.newsservers.co.uk/thugs.php
> http://www.abpsp.fsworld.co.uk/umb/

I checked these out. The 3rd has some cartoons that make ad-hominems but
no arguments. The 2nd whines about bottom-posting bullies, but still
makes no argument explaining why anyone would want to top-post. The 1st
tries to claim that interleaved posting is bad by showing a poor attempt
by people who don't seem to understand the point, and also whines that
bottom posters don't trim, totally missing the point. (I think we all
agree that trimming is good, but top-posting makes it easy to not do it.
Xnews will properly bitch at me if my post is more than 60% quoted
material.)

> There is no real standard, or those posting in alternative styles,
> contrary to the style you advocate, would have their accounts blocked
> from usenet access.

Laws can dictate conformance with standards, but standards are not laws.
They are simply agreements to facilitate interoperability. If you violate
a standard, thugs don't come knocking on your door to take you away, but
the services you seek may not be able to respond to you.

Similarly, top-posting on Usenet works in groups where that's the norm
(usually because the group is dominated by people ignorant of the value-
add of interleaved posting). More technical groups tend to recognize the
value of combining good trimming with interleaved responses, and may find
a top-poster too painful to reply to and provide help. (Had you not
"juiced up" your post with a mention of Linux, I probably would have
ignored any question you asked, and so would most here.)

Note that my objective is not to berate you or drive you out of the
group, but to try to help you make your communication more effective and
improve the likelihood of a good response. If you can point me to
resources that show how top-posting can accomplish the same, we'll all
rush to them with open arms. It's all about getting good value, esp. from
limited time to read many groups and lists.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2gdkcmF1mi0pU1@uni-berlin.de:

> This was the end of your worthless reply post in my newsreader client.
> I did not see any more of your less than polite comments until I
> examined the actual message source.

Ouch, I didn't think OE was that broken. I had to compare your quote to his
message to see what OE was seeing. Xnews was smart enough (or perhaps dumb
enough) not to try to parse and run a broken uuencoded attachment.

> But, I guess you are a real god of computers, and already know how
> your lil VBS script failed to achieve its intended purpose.

I didn't see any hostile script, just the header for one that OE tried to
parse and run. Yet another reason I avoid OE, as it's just too willing to
run any hostile content one gives it. We no longer live in the age of the
"scientific" Internet, when malicious traffic was almost unheard of and
programs did their best to deal with broken input. It's now necessary to
treat all input as hostile and act accordingly, but MS seems to find that
hard to grasp. And when it does fix the gaping holes, users don't apply the
patches, leading to a rise in infected "zombies" that malicious users
(notably spammers) use to attack the rest of the Net.

Please consider using an alternative, for all our sakes. There are several
free alternatives (Mozilla, Opera, and Eudora come to mind) and several
low-priced commercial ones. I like Mulberry for IMAP mail, Xnews for news,
and Mozilla for web. Try them all. I'm betting you'll find that OE is *not*
the best thing out there, even if what you settle on isn't the same mix
that I chose.

(Oh, and since this started as a Linux thread, take note that Mulberry,
Mozilla, and Opera are all available for both Win32 and Linux. I use
Mulberry and Moz on both platforms.)

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrnca12bj.4je.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

> Then use "Quotefix" for OE, and you'll be a happy man. You can
> bottom-post no worries (just remember to snip all unneeded
> quoted text), you get nice colors, nice smileys, and the broken
> quoting is fixed :)

I really do miss those cute little smiley face emoticons that came
with the OE Quotefix after switching to Xnews. Maybe someone
could make a request to Luu Tran the creator of Xnews to add the
emoticons it. Shouldn't be too hard to parse the text and pick out
all the patterns of text smileys and replace them with emoticon
bitmaps for the user. I also thought about making a request to
Microsoft about fixing OE so it will work ( YeeeHaawww! Yeah Right! )
but the former sounds way easier! Nine times out of ten when I am
looking for something M$ related I either run into a brick wall or
a broken link.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

> I really do miss those cute little smiley face emoticons that came
> with the OE Quotefix after switching to Xnews.

Yeah, that's the one thing in web forums I miss when looking at newsgroups.
But the biggest problem is settling on some kind of standard. Every web
forum I visit has a different collection of smilies and is often missing
the one I want.

At least Luu added support for X-Face. Do the OE users miss out on those?
(I see you've got it enabled in your post.) It's a rather fun graphical
feature with minimal bandwidth cost.

Meltdown

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> uhm, u just lost 50 points doing a re- as a top post... ;-)

Que? What part of my post was top-posted???

ScratchMonkey <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> Blessed us
with news:Xns94E6DB973B53Fscratchmonkey@216.196.97.136:

> JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in
>
>> I really do miss those cute little smiley face emoticons that
>> came with the OE Quotefix after switching to Xnews.
>
> Yeah, that's the one thing in web forums I miss when looking at
> newsgroups. But the biggest problem is settling on some kind of
> standard. Every web forum I visit has a different collection of
> smilies and is often missing the one I want.

You must be talking about HTML/HTTP web forums here. I believe they
are somewhat different to an NNTP forum which is what this is. I
have also noticed that the HTTP forums all have different types of
smiley faces and emoticons. I believe the OE Quotefix was for NNTP
text forums only and all it does is to change text like this *:)*
without the asterisks to an interesting little smiley bitmap.

> At least Luu added support for X-Face. Do the OE users miss out
> on those?

Why most certainly OE users completely miss out on all of the fun
little X-Faces that are out there like yours for a good example!.
Mr.K also has an interesting yet simple X-Face for another good
example of bigfoot's foot print I think. Actually I got mine from
a person named 'Boomer' in news.software.readers and he had PG-13
written on it and it was a lot less risque than mine is. I added
the breasts and the XXX to the bitmap is all I did.

> (I see you've got it enabled in your post.) It's a rather fun
> graphical feature with minimal bandwidth cost.

Yeah it's really small and WinFace does a pretty good job of
converting it to text too. I also like the fact that Xnews can
use an X-Face that is more than 255 characters in length. Some
newsreaders like Microplanet's Gravity can't do that.

> You must be talking about HTML/HTTP web forums here. I believe they
> are somewhat different to an NNTP forum which is what this is.

Right, by web forum I mean like my team's forums:

http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/

(You'll note we have a UT2004 section.)

Web forums are quite different technically from NNTP, and historically I
despised them for their slow speed and lack of threading, but our server is
beefy enough to address the speed issue. It's possible to view thread
relationships but I find it clumsy and not very useful, so I just use the
conventional linear view.