Sign in with
Your question

Good AMD CPU for multiple everday tasks

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2010 10:09:18 PM

HI
Just sorting component to build a new PC
MAIN FUNCTION of PC is iINTERNET..usually have lots of pages and multiple tabs open, run dual screens
Also use for email, office applications and accounting
Have settled on an AM3 motherboard and would like to get opinion on best CPU for purpose
My questions are
1) will a multi core CPU (quad or hex) give me great benefits over a dual core CPU considering what I am using it for ?
2) If have multiple web pages open, will IE or Chrome use a separate core for each window ?
a c 151 à CPUs
September 10, 2010 10:14:52 PM

For what you are describing, a dual core will do fine. If you plan to game, edit video, or do anything more strenuous, the greater number of cores will improve performance. Really a matter of how much you want to spend and how much processing flexibility you want to have in reserve for other things.
September 10, 2010 10:19:41 PM

If you are normally running dozens of web pages (and maybe playing poker on each one) you should probably get an AthlonII x4 quad core and not rely on just a dual. Windows will spread the load for each window out on different cores so it will help you.

More importantly make sure you have enough RAM that you are not burning lots of CPU cycles and time swapping between RAM and the page file on the HDD.
Related resources
September 10, 2010 11:51:43 PM

Do you think I would see a worthwhile difference between a quad with 3.2 Ghz and hex core with 2.8 Ghz ?. ie more core versus processon speed, gaming not a consideration
September 10, 2010 11:54:31 PM

A dual core will be fine. I quad core will be waste of cash from what i saw you will be doing. Another poster said that windows could the seperate the load if you have multiple cores, it would acaully just set itself for one core and have the other(s) be the applications you want to run. You would NEVER see the benifit of a quad core when all you will do is run the internet. Browsers arnt really all that big of hogs, i can run 10-20 on Windows 7 with a CRAPPY dual core and still run games at fairly high quality.

With multiple browsers you might want to consider 3GB RAM+ that would give you a lot of leeway room with that RAM... You could put the money that you save toward a second monitor so that you have access to more screen space.

Just a thought, Windows 7 handles multiple browsers/windows/tabs very well. They did a good job with that.

September 11, 2010 12:00:38 AM

Bubbles50 said:
Do you think I would see a worthwhile difference between a quad with 3.2 Ghz and hex core with 2.8 Ghz ?. ie more core versus processon speed, gaming not a consideration

Technicly processer speed doesn't matter today. It is accaully a marketing ploy that Intell and AMD try to pull off. So you would have to give two different processors and then we can tell you.

Why would you ever want that much power anyways if all you are going to do is internet browse?? AMD Hex cores are using the horsepower of their quad cores. Its all spread out, the specs are the same, all that is different is that there are two more cores. Which in theory will give you two more threads but those two extra threads/cores have to share the same cache ect. Then they suck up more power even when idling. They give almost no help to applications because applications/games are JUST starting to tap into 4 cores. They are not even 1/4 way to getting all four down let alone going on 6! By the time you get to 6 cores what even hex core CPU you bought is outdated and will be too slow to be able to take advantage of the 6 cores.

September 11, 2010 2:15:38 AM

Thanks for your opinions

I think the cruch question is
will IE or Chrome use a separate core for each window ?

What is the concensus ?

a b à CPUs
September 11, 2010 2:52:00 AM

gidgiddonihah is right, all you need is a dual core for those uses, along with lots of RAM.

If you're talking about instances of IE or Chrome, then it may offload the processes to other cores, but each core will be underutilized anyway. If you're talking tabs, then no, it likely won't split up the process and offload it to separate cores.
!