2nd drive can write, read and analysis but cant defrag

ErikaT

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
hi all

my new (1month old) 2nd drive can write, read and analysis but cant defrag ( stuck at Pass 1 100%consolidation)

Please dont tell me it is a bad disk, cause i just suffer a bad disk 3 weeks ago with another disk

regards

Inability to complete a defrag is often a symptom of a failing drive, but could also mean it just has bad sectors which sometimes be repaired or else marked as bad so they don't get used in future.

Test the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic software - it's the only way to be sure if it's failed or not - (unless the drive goes up in flames, of course!).

The links to the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Erika,

Depending on the OS you are running, defrag can take a long time.

Might download HD Tune Pro (30 day free eval) and run it against this drive.

On the Health Tab, check to see if there are any problem areas identified.
Then on the Error Scan Tab, run a Full Error Scan to see if there are errors on the Disk.
Lastly, on the Benchmark Tab, run a Benchmark scan to see that it is performing properly.

You could also download and run Piriform's Defraggler, which will defragment the HDD by a different algorithm.
I have found over time, that defraging by a different program, (Symantic Utilities, Defraggler, PerfectDisk), then the builtin Windows Defrag runs smoother and faster.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the wonderful all inclusive compilation of HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tools! A great resource!