Dell xps 410 fail

dellxps410

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
i have a dell xps 410 that when you turn it on it just gives you a black screen full of letters and numbers and i cant do anything else with it diag test gives no error code and it wont acknowledge that anything is plugged into it like harddrive or dvd drive. look at capacitors and none look blown any suggestions could it be motherboard?

It sounds like something is amiss hardware speaking. Chances are that it could be the motherboard or perhaps the CPU has been fried. If you have an extra CPU laying around, perhaps give that a try and see if that settles the issue. If not, I would bet that it's the motherboard. Regardless of whether or not you're under warranty, give Dell a call and see what they have to say about it.

dellxps410

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

what would i look for on a cpu to see if its fried because i looked at that too and nothing looks out of place or brown or anything.

dellxps410

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
" it just gives you a black screen full of letters and numbers and i cant do anything else with it "
what does this say exactly.?

Its mainly zeros throughout the whole screen and you can kind of make out different words in the jiberish like the word Failed is in a couple of lines but you really can't make out any other words

dellxps410

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I got ya.
When was the last time it worked properly and what were you doing when it failed.?

Its not my computer its a coworkers and i have no idea what he was doing when it stopped working or when but i got it from him a week ago and have been trying to figure this thing out for him so he can use it agian.

dellxps410

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
also i know its not the Harddrive because i put a different one in there and it does the same thing. and it doesnt seem to recognize that there is harddrive in there and it wont load from a cd because it doesnt seem to recognize a cd drive either.