Don't know if my mother board is a Socket M or P..CPU-Z pix included

toshiba-140

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Can anyone please help me identify the socket, confused because gl960 chipsets are socket P, but my processor is 479mpga ( socket m). CPU -Z screenshots for you info below. Thanks

396302730.jpg

396302729.jpg

^Huh?!

Socket 479 {478 pins} -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_479
There existed three electrically incompatible, but physically identical, versions of this socket:[1]
• for Pentium III-M (released in 2001);
• for Pentium M and Celeron M 3xx (this was the most common version of the socket, and was released in 2003); and
• a version compatible with Socket M for Intel Core, Core 2 and Celeron M 4xx and 5xx processors.

Trust me, I had to look-up this stuff myself ;)

toshiba-140

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
So what you are saying is that my GL960 chipset, is a socket P ( which I read on intel website) But can fit a socket 479 processor.

toshiba-140

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well cause, i want to do a pin mod. Considering it's a P socket that houses a M socket processor, What Pin mod do I do? M or P LOL confusing!!!

I added bullet points above to make what I posted clearer.

'Finding' a compatible MOBO that will fit your Laptop is incredibly difficult if not impossible.

Q - Other than what socket concern, what are you trying to do??

toshiba-140

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well, I already have the instructions of how to do the pin mod, A guy on notebookreview forums has already successfully done a pin mod on socket M and socket P. On the laptop I am using, he managed to over clock it too 2.6 ghz. So thats my aim and to to try increase the ram to 4gb.

Huh? So your saying a s479 cpu will NOT fit in a s479 motherboard? I think it will.

Not really sure where your going with this, but the OP asked what cpu he had, M or P. Not how many different cpu's will fit in my motherboard.

All he needs to know is it's a s479 M.

Reality check, I really don't care... That said, my read on "There existed three electrically incompatible, but physically identical" is that you cannot place the OP's CPU in any Socket 479. The exception I saw was 'M' & 'P' but as I also said you'll need the CPUID info in the BIOS for the CPU to function properly.

What the OP is doing might work but unless the CPUID info is available the CPU will not run properly 'if' at all. This is like taking a current e.g. 1100T and slapping it in an old BIOS AM3 MOBO. The CPU will/might run but at a drastically dummied-down state.

The OP will more than likely need a hacked BIOS with the CPUID info. Considering it's a mobile CPU --- this seems more like a 'fun' project than anything serious.