Solved

Memory upgrade

Tags:
  • Memory
  • BIOS
  • Memory Upgrade
Last response: in Memory
April 18, 2011 5:20:46 PM

Bought 4 2gb ddr3 pc3 10600 memory modules that are spec'd to run at 1333mhz 1.65v. Question is, my bios are locked OEM and memory sockets are rated 1.5v... will the new memory run at 1.5v.? Did some looking around and the intel h57 chipset is set to run between 1.5v - 1.7v. So, since I cannot manually change the voltages, when I put the memory in will bios auto reconfigure to 1.65v or keep voltages at 1.5v. I'd rather keep voltages down but on the otherhand want my machine to run stable.
Any and all help pertaining to my infancy would greatly be appreciated! Thank You.

More about : memory upgrade

a b } Memory
April 18, 2011 6:24:31 PM

Your RAM is rated to run stable at 1333MHz using 1.65v.

The BIOS will automatically set the voltage to 1.5V (it's really locked?) and your memory speed lower than its rated speed; either 1066 or 800. This is not a big deal as you can see in the following article there's not much difference in performance at different RAM speeds (at least while gaming):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vengeance-c...

This shouldn't be a problem with much of anything on that platform.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 18, 2011 7:12:41 PM

Is this a pre-built like a Dell or something? Is that why it's locked?

What memory kit did you buy?

You memory should run at 1.5v no problem, but it might lower itself to 1066 or change the timings to do so, I'm not completely sure.

I have-------------DDR3-1600/9-9-9-24/1.65v

But set it at------DDR3-1333/8-8-8-20/1.50v

So mine runs at 1.5v, but I lowered the speed to 1333 and tightened the timings.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2011 8:11:37 PM

It's a pre-built Lenovo K320. At this moment I have 4 x 2gb modules pc3 8500 at 1066. Ordered 2 dual channel kits (2x2)sticks of crucial tracer pc3 10600 at 1333. I've done a lot with this machine and it's cool what I use it for and finally came around to upgrading memory. Lenovo tech support said the memory would be fine as long as the power supply could well, supply the power. Anyhow, I don't don't know how informed they are or what you know. At this very moment, my memory runs with 1.5v. The crucial are spec'd for 1.65v. When I install the new memory, will the bios auto configure the voltage to 1.65v's?? I've looked around and lots of sites state that the intel h57 chipset supports 1.5v - 1.7v. I just don't know if that's the case for open bios or not . Since unfortunately I can't manually set the voltages I'm blindly hoping it's an auto thing and if not, can the Tracers run at 1.5v's??
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 19, 2011 9:45:55 AM

RussK1 said:
It's a pre-built Lenovo K320. At this moment I have 4 x 2gb modules pc3 8500 at 1066. Ordered 2 dual channel kits (2x2)sticks of crucial tracer pc3 10600 at 1333. I've done a lot with this machine and it's cool what I use it for and finally came around to upgrading memory. Lenovo tech support said the memory would be fine as long as the power supply could well, supply the power. Anyhow, I don't don't know how informed they are or what you know. At this very moment, my memory runs with 1.5v. The crucial are spec'd for 1.65v. When I install the new memory, will the bios auto configure the voltage to 1.65v's?? I've looked around and lots of sites state that the intel h57 chipset supports 1.5v - 1.7v. I just don't know if that's the case for open bios or not . Since unfortunately I can't manually set the voltages I'm blindly hoping it's an auto thing and if not, can the Tracers run at 1.5v's??

Here's an example of how it may work. My RAM is rated 1600MHz at 1.65v. My board allows me to adjust all the settings.

By default, it runs 1066MHz at 1.5v. I have to manually adjust the voltage, timings, and latencies per the manufacturer to get it to run stable at 1600MHz.

Because these settings are locked on your machine, you won't be able to set this to run at the rated 1333 speed.

Additionally, per the Tom's Hardware link I included above, upgrading RAM speed just for the sake of a RAM speed increase really doesn't get you much of an overall performance increase.

Just to clarify, you already have 4x2GB @1066 and you're getting 2 2x2GB kits @1333 with the only difference being the rated speed of the RAM? The new kits will run fine, though they won't run stable at the higher speed without the increased voltage to the memory (even if you could up the memory clock or multiplier). Unfortunately, overall performance will be around the same as your current performance.

The Lenovo tech guy couldn't definitively tell you how this would work in this Lenovo PC?
April 19, 2011 12:24:42 PM

I think you're right bro.. and yes I have 4x2gb @1066 installed on my machine right now and am just upgrading just for the sake of upgrading since the ram was pretty cheap($100 bucks). And No, the Lenovo people are really no help... from their standpoint they don't want claims so they only give out selective information. Even though I clearly explained to him I didn't care about the warranty.

Kinda feel like a dumbass for even buying the machine because what I've put into it I could've built a really nice one that's 10 times better. Atleast I should've went with the ASUS(which was the same price). Funny thing is, when my wife and I go into bestbuy she's always looking at the cases, solid state drives, etc... you know? Anyhow, sometime in the near future when I get the extra cash I'll purchase a new mobo, cpu, and a shiny new copy of windows(and a new case) and start from scratch. I really hate the fact that on this machine I can't do anything in the bios other than boot sequence, change date and time, and look at my system info.. lol

Hopefully they'll work and I didn't just waste my money. I love Crucial and their customer support is second to none. They've told me that it's possible that my machine may have a voltage regulator and when I pop in the memory it may reconfigure to the memories voltage needs. Since all chipsets have a comfort zone of voltage so to speak. I believe, on mine, the H57 chipset allows for voltages between 1.43v - 1.7v to be specific. But, unfortunately for me, those probably have to be manually set in the bios(??).

Well, I guess I'll find out and I'll let you know. Atleast I'll have cool led's to look at:) ... but I do think you're correct, they'll run fine until I start running max speeds and if I have problems the memory they will go on ebay. Just chalk it up and move on!

You're insight has been great and thank's for replying, I needed your shoulder. Until the next time take care Brother!

Russ
m
l
April 19, 2011 12:45:33 PM

Best answer selected by russwood1488.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 19, 2011 1:11:28 PM

No problem.

Good luck. H57 is not a bad chipset whatsoever and if the PC does what you need it to, great. In most cases, having the ability to change things in the BIOS can get you into trouble anyhow.

Though, when you are looking to upgrade a decent P55 board is around $150 and a decent mid tower case $50.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 19, 2011 1:43:45 PM

By the way, that was the dumbest upgrade ever.

If you were going to do such a dumb upgrade, you should have at least went with 1600mhz ram, it's the same price as the 1333.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:03:59 PM

Couldn't upgrade to 1600 mhz. The cap on this board is the pc3 10600 @1333mhz and that goes for the i3 as well or I would've. I have done everything else. Dual LG blu-ray burners, discrete hd 5770 video card, 2x 1tb 7200rpm hdd(looking into ssd), 4xusb3.0, etc.... the only thing left to do was upgrade memory or get a ssd into which the ssd is way overpriced(atleast in todays market makes it impractical). Anyway, dumb or not is besides the point. It's purchased and I have to live with it, but I should've been a lil' more fastidious on the voltage aspect.
Russ

P.S.- also got a 700watt Thermaltake power supply... almost forgot!
m
l
April 19, 2011 9:08:59 PM

geekapproved said:
By the way, that was the dumbest upgrade ever.

If you were going to do such a dumb upgrade, you should have at least went with 1600mhz ram, it's the same price as the 1333.

...and by the way you comment is farcical! before you go telling "people" how dumb their "upgrades" are you might want to consider your choices. #1) you have a system board that only supports up to 1333mhz yet you have 1600?? #2) The i3 is only rated up to 1333mhz per Intel data sheet yet again, you have 1600mhz ram?? This is the reason why you're only getting 1333mhz. Pay a little more attention to your words and your actions. The only mistake(and still don't know if it is) I made is overlooking my voltage requirements.

Not looking to get into an argument but I asked a specific question, not whether you liked my "upgrades" or not or thought them "dumb". To be candid, I don't care and if there was nothing constructive for you to say then you should have kept it to yourself. Your transparent acumen doesn't impress me.

Thanks
Russ
m
l
!