Sign in with
Your question
Solved

EX58-UD3R 1 long 2 short BIOS beep code

Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2011 5:55:41 PM

Hi!
While I was using my PC the day before yesterday, the screen suddenly went black, however, the fans are still running, and I am still able to hear my hard drive spinning, I then hold down the power button to shut down my PC.
I turned it on after a few seconds, still no video output, all I heard is 1 long 2 short BIOS beep.
Actually, I am not sure whether the beep code is 1 long 2 short or 1 long 3 short, so I have recorded the bios beep, and uploaded it here. Please help me identify it, and give me some suggestions, I want to make sure if the problem is on the graphics card (which is the most suspicious one).
Thanks for your help. :) 

For your information, the following is my specs:
Intel i7-920 / Gigabyte EX58-UD3R / Corsair Dominator DDR3 2GB*3 / Gigabyte ATI 4850 / WD 1001FALS / Corsair VX-450W / Sony DRU-870S
a c 151 V Motherboard
April 18, 2011 6:39:02 PM

One long and two short, means Video adapter error. Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

One long, three short means No video card or bad video RAM. Reseat or replace the video card.

Got the info from here: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm#

Hope it's correct.
m
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
April 18, 2011 6:42:59 PM

1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

My assumption is the "1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error" ; you can disconnect your Keyboard and try to start.

Chanes are your HD 4850 is toast, if you have a different GPU then try it. You can try to reseat the GPU and or clean the PCIe contacts with Isopropyl alcohol and or try the second PCIe slot. If equipped with a 6-pin then try a different 6-pin from your PSU.

The 'best' method to diagnose is to use a different GPU.

If all of the above fails {including a different GPU} or the second PCIe slot works then your MOBO is toast. Otherwise, is a different GPU corrects the problem then your HD 4850 is toast.
Related resources
April 19, 2011 12:38:58 AM

spooky2th said:
One long and two short, means Video adapter error. Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

One long, three short means No video card or bad video RAM. Reseat or replace the video card.

Got the info from here: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm#

Hope it's correct.

Thanks for your reply.
Actually it is a little bit difficult for me to distinguish between long beeps and short beeps on the EX58-UD3R, they sounds quite similar.
So I hope anyone could help me to identify it by listening to the beep sound I recorded.
Thanks.
m
l
April 19, 2011 12:48:16 AM

jaquith said:
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

My assumption is the "1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error" ; you can disconnect your Keyboard and try to start.

Chanes are your HD 4850 is toast, if you have a different GPU then try it. You can try to reseat the GPU and or clean the PCIe contacts with Isopropyl alcohol and or try the second PCIe slot. If equipped with a 6-pin then try a different 6-pin from your PSU.

The 'best' method to diagnose is to use a different GPU.

If all of the above fails {including a different GPU} or the second PCIe slot works then your MOBO is toast. Otherwise, is a different GPU corrects the problem then your HD 4850 is toast.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have tried to disconnect my keyboard, but it still fails to start.
I agree swapping the graphics card with my friend would be the best solution, and thanks for telling me that PCIe slots and the PSU could be a problem, too.
I will sort it out after borrowing a graphics card from my friend.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 19, 2011 1:54:53 AM

Good Luck! Good or Bad at least you'll know soon. Please update :) 
m
l
April 19, 2011 3:00:46 AM

jaquith said:
Good Luck! Good or Bad at least you'll know soon. Please update :) 

Thanks.
Sure, I will update this thread as soon as I finish my midterm exam and get my PC fixed, now using my laptop first. :) 
m
l
April 24, 2011 2:11:19 PM

Finally got my problem solved. Yes, it was a dead graphics card.
At first, I swapped my 4850 with my friends GTX460, and found that his GTX460 requires two 6-pin power, and my VX-450W PSU only has one 6-pin. :lol:  So I took my 4850 to my friend's place, and got the same one long two short BIOS beep on his PC.
I have RMA'd the old 4850, but I do not want to wait for one week, so I bought a new 5770, and now the PC is fixed.
Thanks for your help. :) 
m
l
April 24, 2011 2:11:41 PM

Best answer selected by pcgeekpcgeek.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 24, 2011 2:22:08 PM

Glad to hear you discovered the problem! :)  The HD 5770 is a good workhorse and does good in most games; I have them on all of my work PCs - no problems.
m
l
April 24, 2011 2:43:19 PM

jaquith said:
Glad to hear you discovered the problem! :)  The HD 5770 is a good workhorse and does good in most games; I have them on all of my work PCs - no problems.

Thanks for your reply. :) 
Just ran a benchmark, and the result seems to be good.
m
l
!