Panel Connector won't fit

tomacer17

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hello,
Im replacing my Acer T180 motherboard MCP61SM-AM and CPU with a new Asus M4A785-M mobo with a Athlon II X4 640. The Panel connector from my Acer case front panel does not seem compatible with the Panel pins on the new mobo. Anyone know how to line it up. I can not get power to my front power switch.

This is probably the biggest problem with pre-built systems. Manufacturers tend to use proprietary components that are basically designed around the motherboard. This is to ensure that you buy replacement parts from said manufacturer. However, all is not lost. In order for you to get the power button working, you need to buy a power switch. You should be able to install the power switch easily, just carefully remove the wiring that connects the power button on the case to the motherboard. Next, take the pin jumper connection end, and put it on the PWR_SW pins on the motherboard. Note that you may not be able to use all front panel functions, but USB, Power, and Reset (if applicable) are replaceable.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can probably pull the pins out of the proprietary connector and plug them onto the pins of the motherboard. The motherboard manual will document which pins go where, all you have to do is to figure out which pins in the connector are the ones that you want. You could figure this out pretty quickly with a VOM. The manual for the old motherboard might tell you right off which pins go where.

Another option would be to make some jumpers with pins on one end and sockets on the other end, and connect them from the new motherboard to the old plug. We used to do a lot of this when working with older systems.

tomacer17

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for your tips ! I am trying to keep all my pled, and hhd led, so since my old 9 pin is very different, I will try what you say. The main reason is my pled, and hhd led are much further away from the power pin, so I was thinking to add another pin casing, or as you guys suggest just running jumper wire to old plug. Wish they had one big plug that fit all the 20 pins for the front panel header. Then i could transfer all wires to it, but maybe this is a harder way. Thanks again

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

VOM is volt-ohms meter. You can use it to check continuity, IOW you could check the pins in your connector and determine which ones were shorted between when you press the power button.

If you know the manufacturer and model # of the motherboard you can usually google it and maybe find a manual online.