Sign in with
Your question

Error!!

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 9:48:33 PM

Hi, i just recently bought a computer on eBay, i could not resist it. The price on that computer was excellent. The parts alone in this computer was worth more than what i bought it for. When i opened everything, the computer seemed very new and all the parts were clearly new. The seller said that he custom built this computer, thus the reason why i posted this on this section. Anyways on to the important stuff. I just got the computer today and i found an error while trying to power on this computer. When i turned it on it said "CPU Over Temperature Error" and it would just shut itself down. I did do some research on this before i even try to post this error on this forum, after i read a few topics on cpu over temperature error's, i've come to conclude that it was because the Heat sink fan did not connected well with the CPU thus the overheating. So here's my problem, i am not a professional computer building nor do i know much about Heat sink fans or thermal pads. I do not want to harm this computer so i am too scared to continue turning on this computer (risking chances of burning the CPU) to check it. Is there a safe way to turn on the computer without it overheating? For example going to the bios and checking the temperatures-will does this overheat the cpu? Will turning the computer on while it has this error harm the computer in anyway? Will the CPU eventually burn if i keep turning it on or will the motherboard continue to shut down the computer so that the cpu will never burn itself and brake? i think the seller i bought this computer from used cheap thermal pads so i just need a little help from you guys on what i should do? Should i bring it to a computer store just to ask them to fix it and do everything for me. I do have a lot of confidence in myself i just need a little guide on what i should do first just to make sure that the computer will not be harmed (for example giving static to the computer- i should ground myself so that i dont give static to the computer parts). That is why I'm posting it on this forum asking you guys questions before i do anything. If possible i do not want to return this computer because i will lose money doing return shipping ;(. If i have to buy new a new Arctic Silver compound, i will do it just to be safe. Also remember to answer my questions.

1)Is there a safe way to turn on the computer without it overheating?

2)For example going to the bios and checking the temperatures-will does this overheat the cpu?

3)Will turning the computer on while it has this error harm the computer in anyway?

4)Will the CPU eventually burn if i keep turning it on or will the motherboard continue to shut down the computer so that the cpu will never burn itself and brake?

Also if i want to take it apart to check the CPU, i will have to remove the cooler which i do not know how to =[.
He built it on a HAF 922 case, on a Asus P6T Mobo with a i7 930 CPU with a COOLER MASTER N520 CPU COOLER. If you need any other information to help me please ask.

Thanks for taking your time to read this long request for help!
-Jack

More about : error

a b à CPUs
July 13, 2010 10:35:22 PM

1) Doesn't seem like it if the CPU heatsink is not mounted on properly.

2) It may overheat the CPU simply because the heatsink is not properly mounted.

3) I would think so in terms of overheating, the damage wouldn't be that severe however.

4) Depends really, both could happen - i.e., the CPU keeps overheating and the motherboard keeps shutting down.

The Cooler Master Hyper N520 isn't hard to remove. Just make sure that when you do remove it, you remove any thermal paste that is on the CPU/heatsink and apply some new paste. He may not have even put any paste on which would have caused problems.

On removing it I suggest going to Cooler Master's website to see if they have any manuals, otherwise look up some reviews and see how they install it - just reverse the process.
July 13, 2010 10:40:36 PM

Do you think its easy enough for me to do it? Or should i just bring it to a store and ask them, i wonder how much its gonna cause for the labor. Computer stores usually rip you off though =[.
Related resources
July 14, 2010 1:22:25 AM

Also going to ask a few more questions.
5) When you get, CPU Over Temperature Error, does that mean that there are other parts of the computer that has problem or its most likely just caused by the fact that the heat sink fan was not mounted properly?

6)Is it because of the shipping(assuming that it was moved a lot) that caused the the heat sink fan and the cooler to be properly attached to the CPU? Do you think its possible that it was caused by shipping?
July 15, 2010 8:16:45 PM

Another update!! Please help!~ Thanks

Hey i just opened my computer and I found out something was hanging on the motherboard. I found it hanging in the back of the motherboard(it is right BEHIND the CPU) . I noticed there was ONLY 1 screw to make it stay in place, Is this a serious issue? I uploaded a picture on photo bucket for you guys to see.

Is this the reason why im getting the CPU Temperature Error?

http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/iTzZjAcK/?actio...
July 15, 2010 9:20:17 PM

Uhh i think i solved the issue, the Heat Sink Fan was knocked out of place because of the shipping, i think the seller didnt install enough screws. Now ill have to go buy screws.
!