Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Auto log on, but still have a password or lock computer

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 2, 2011 3:01:17 PM

I was wondering if there is a way to Auto log on but still have a password.
I want it to log in and not stop at the log in screen. So it will do a full boot with out user intervention, but still require a password to access the computer.

Reason being is my netbook takes forever to log in to. But I still want the added security of a password.

Any ideas?
I was thinking about a script file that will lock the computer, placed in the start up folder, but it would be annoying to be on the desktop doing stuff then get sent to the lock screen, when the start up scripts finely runs. (being one of the last things to run). It would be simple to by pass, by deleting the script before it has a chance to run when the computer logs in.

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 3:07:51 PM

Maybe you interested in BIOS password. Its kinda machine's Password then.
November 2, 2011 3:15:48 PM

If you want your computer to be locked from a powered off state, then you can't use auto-login.

Start scripts can be easily disabled. In fact, it used to be that you could hold shift and everything in the startup directory would be ignored. Don't know if that still happens in newer versions of windows (used to do this in Win 95 I think). Also, booting to a command prompt would allow you to easily remove the script file from the HDD.

BIOS passwords can easily be reset. On my old laptop all you had to do was remove the power and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

If you want security, then you have to deal with the downsides of minor inconveniences. If you only want fake security enough to scare away your mom & dad who know nothing about computers, then either method would be good enough.

I think the most optimal solution is to leave the computer always turned on, and just lock it. If you put it to sleep or hibernate, it should prompt for a password and recover much faster than a cold boot.
Related resources
November 2, 2011 3:51:41 PM

yeah I don't' need super secure, it is mainly so coworkers can't change my computer settings around.

I Turn on my computer then go to the bathroom or something wail it is booting then come back and I have a hello kitty background :) 
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 3:53:49 PM

Quote:
BIOS passwords can easily be reset. On my old laptop all you had to do was remove the power and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.


Even old IBM Pentium III based laptop Passwords could not be reset unless by tweaking hardware even if you remove all power sources and by now I think many other Notebook manufacturers could do that. Its not easy. I experienced that.
@Catsrules : You can switch it on quickly enter password and it is on!
November 2, 2011 4:01:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
BIOS passwords can easily be reset. On my old laptop all you had to do was remove the power and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.


Even old IBM Pentium III based laptop Passwords could not be reset unless by tweaking hardware even if you remove all power sources and by now I think many other Notebook manufacturers could do that. Its not easy. I experienced that.


There are easy way to remove bios passwords, on newer hardware. But it does very for hardware and manufacturer, But nothing a quick internet search can't fix.
Usually there is a jumper you need to short/unshort or a button you need to hold down for a certain amount of time. I worked for a school district, and half to time, was removing BIOS passwords, darn kids anyways :) 

Best solution

November 2, 2011 5:46:16 PM
Share



Yay for IBM building a capable laptop. Not all laptops are built like IBM's thinkpads. Some are secure, others aren't. It costs more to make a secure laptop, and Thinkpads were built for business use. A cheap $200 netbook may not (and probably doesn't) contain the same security features.

Go to the same website and look at the dell section. There are laptops that can be cleared just by removing the CMOS battery.

@intended purpose
Ultimately, the whole bios password thing doesn't matter since you want to boot first. A startup script is the only thing that will work for what you want and will probably deter your coworkers. I did a quick google search and shift still disables the startup folders so hopefully they don't know you can do that. Either that or carry it into the bathroom while it is booting :D 
November 2, 2011 6:01:36 PM

nordlead said:
Yay for IBM building a capable laptop. Not all laptops are built like IBM's thinkpads. Some are secure, others aren't. It costs more to make a secure laptop, and Thinkpads were built for business use. A cheap $200 netbook may not (and probably doesn't) contain the same security features.

Go to the same website and look at the dell section. There are laptops that can be cleared just by removing the CMOS battery.

@intended purpose
Ultimately, the whole bios password thing doesn't matter since you want to boot first. A startup script is the only thing that will work for what you want and will probably deter your coworkers. I did a quick google search and shift still disables the startup folders so hopefully they don't know you can do that.


Haha thanks for your helps guys.
I didn't know that holding shift disables the start up folder. So I did get something out of this :) 

nordlead said:

Either that or carry it into the bathroom while it is booting :D 

that is an idea, :) 
November 2, 2011 6:01:50 PM

Best answer selected by Catsrules.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 6:07:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
!