Sign in with
Your question

How to recover data from a broken external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2012 4:41:49 PM

my external harddisk fell down.....and my system detects the disk but unable to open it. when I try to open it, the system becomes motionless.....The data inside is very important...so please help....!!!

More about : recover data broken external hard drive

a c 110 G Storage
September 14, 2012 5:14:01 PM

does the drive spin up okay or does it make noises?
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 4:28:06 AM

Emerald said:
does the drive spin up okay or does it make noises?

yes...it makes noise
m
l
September 28, 2012 1:23:54 PM

anu143roop said:
my external harddisk fell down.....and my system detects the disk but unable to open it. when I try to open it, the system becomes motionless.....The data inside is very important...so please help....!!!

Hi, I work in Data Recovery company and it seems that your drive is presenting some physical errors. The noise it makes (probably a clicking) is just a sign of it. The best you can do is to keep you HD in a safe place. Don't try to run a software in order to prevent further damage and deeper data loss. If your drive is not clicking, you may have a chance to recover your data by running a software.

If your data is valuable, you'll need a sterile environment like a clean room in order to retrieve your data. That's why data recovery services are very expensive. Just for you to have an idea, where I work, the recoveries run from $400 to $1200 and based in my experience your drive will be in the higher portion (900 - 1200).

If you can't recovery your data with a software (to tell you the truth, your chances are minimal) and you can't afford a data recovery professional (it's very expensive). Just keep your drive in a safe place where it won't be exposed to humidity or falls. Your data may be recovered today, tomorrow or 3 years from now.

Good luck
m
l
!