Sign in with
Your question

Memtest86

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 11:59:55 PM

I am running Memtest 86 + version 4.18.

It says this for Ram settings: 666 MHz (DDR1333) / CAS : 7-9-9-24 / DDR3 64 bits.

IS this okay?

My factory timings are 9-9-9-24. Will this be a problem?

More about : memtest86

a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 1:10:54 AM

What memory kit is it? Did you set the timings manually? Set your timings to the factory recommended speeds and voltages because if the timings are too tight and the chips arent stable they will throw errors in memtest.
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:52:13 AM

hunter315 said:
What memory kit is it? Did you set the timings manually? Set your timings to the factory recommended speeds and voltages because if the timings are too tight and the chips arent stable they will throw errors in memtest.

I called their tech to make sure I had the correct timings and they confirmed it. I put it in the Bios as 9-9-9-24. Memtest says it is 7-9-9-24.

Here is my Ram:

I have a free warranty so I can get a new stick. Does the Memtest result mean the memory is defective, or just with that specific timing? If I get a new stick do you think the problem would be solved or is something else wrong. I failed test 7 FYI.

Also, I was concerned my CPU might be the culprit, because my computer would freeze which suggests potential overheating. Does the fact I can run the Memtest for hours mean the CPU is fine?

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 1:57:33 AM

Download CPU-Z and see what it reads your timings as, it might just be a glitch in memtest reading your timings properly.
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:25:46 AM

hunter315 said:
Download CPU-Z and see what it reads your timings as, it might just be a glitch in memtest reading your timings properly.

Using Ubuntu unfortunately. I can see memory size, speed, CPU speed,etc, but not timing using the Terminal.

If it is not a glitch, Is my RAM to blame? Would just getting a new set fix it?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 2:31:32 AM

If you are getting errors on memtest send the kit back, the kit might be to blame. The test you are getting errors in doesnt really matter, but how many errors are you getting? When one of my sticks went i got like 2500 errors in 30 minutes, if you are only getting 1 or two it might be because of the timings but if its a couple hundred it is quite likely a bad stick. If OCZ is willing to do an RMA for you its worth a shot to see if it really is the sticks fault.
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:37:28 AM

hunter315 said:
If you are getting errors on memtest send the kit back, the kit might be to blame. The test you are getting errors in doesnt really matter, but how many errors are you getting? When one of my sticks went i got like 2500 errors in 30 minutes, if you are only getting 1 or two it might be because of the timings but if its a couple hundred it is quite likely a bad stick. If OCZ is willing to do an RMA for you its worth a shot to see if it really is the sticks fault.

Just one error through two passes.
m
l
!