Motherboard shorting out...

smilinjoefusion

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I have an Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 that I believe is shorting out on the case somewhere. All the cables are in correctly and as far as I can tell everything else is as well. At first when I hit the power button the PSU fan starts spinning for a fraction of a second then stops. I did some research and eventually dismantled the whole thing and got it to run perfectly while outside of the case. This was without the CD/DVD drive and HDD connected so I'll check those as well but I'm thinking the mb is shorting out on the case somewhere. After reinstalling everything I went down from 9 to 5 standoffs and switched to the smaller, finer threaded screws hoping it would help. Same problem. PSU fan twitches and that's it. I'm still thinking its a short in the mb and I just didn't solve it this time. Any suggestions?

If it helps my other components are:
Corsair TX750 PSU
Intel i5-2500k cpu
Antec 300 Illusion mid-tower
Radeon XFX 5850

smilinjoefusion

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Holy crap. I turned the stock cooler's pushpins the wrong direction. Misleading arrows. Either way awesome. Working beautifully. Thanks for the link. Back to being the kid on Christmas enjoying his new toy instead of the sulky one who broke it taking it out of the box.