darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my parents computer and all I need basically is a new motherboard to build a semi-newer computer. I've been looking around for a AMD mobo's with Ultra IDE connections, but many of the newer mobo's have this Ultra DMA 133/100 or ATA 133 2 Dev Max.......are those the same as an Ultra IDE? I'm planning to use a SATA to IDE adapters for the hard drives but keep the old optical drives on IDE( since they don't use it often). So I was also wondering if that adapter will help bring it up to sata speeds?

Thanks in advance!

Parents Computer: (its a pdf specs sheet)

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX850_mksp.pdf

Solution
They're all the same. Just use the blue ide cables with 80 pin connector. Plenty of am2+am3 boards for $40-60 that use ddr2. All the nvidia 6150 boards should have at least one ide port.
If your parents system still works, I wouldn't do anything to it. You will have to change out so much stuff for a proper upgrade it would be cheaper to buy a new one on sale. Fry's has had complete systems with windows 7 for under $300 with an amd cpu. I use a sempron and it's all I need for basic stuff. But to change the board/cpu/ram and possibly the power supply if too much $$ for what you get, plus the old operating system may not work.

The new mobos have support for the wider 80-pin cables not for the old 40-pin. You can use two devicas on a single cable (2HDDs or a HDD and a DVD) but better get a new HDD, those are old and might fail.

You can get a cheap mATX AM3 mobo, an Athlon II X2 and a stick of 2GB DDR3 RAM. Those shouldn't be more than $150.

darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Well, the thing is that recently my brother's motherboard went out and we decided to upgrade that to an am3. But I still have a Athlon 64X2 and 2gb of ddr2 ram from that upgrade and also an extra psu and case laying around, so I thought I would migrate some of the components from the old to the newer one.

@mosox - so the Ultra IDEs have 40 pins and the newer mobos only support 80 pin cables now?

@GeekApproved - I told them to get rid of that old crt years ago lol.