Mobo not detecting hard drives?

bzrk

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
So I just picked up a new motherboard, and I'm having trouble getting it to detect my hard drives. As I start up, I can get into BIOS, but not much else. If I try to just let it start into Windows it says 'operating system not found'. I've reconnected my IDE cables and swapped them out even, so I don't think the issue is external. I've tried loading up my Windows 7 cd to either get a repair going or just a straight format/reinstall, and neither wants to work. The only change I can get at my loadup screen is when I disconnect my slave drive and startup, instead of saying 'os not found' it just does a quick BSOD and restarts...

I have noticed some complaints about my motherboard, saying if you don't have SATA it's a pain to setup. Though some people have managed to figure it out, I couldn't get any solid info about it. My drives I guess are fairly old, IDE (PATA?), but have never really been a problem and I can't really afford to upgrade at the moment.

As far as I can tell, it's some sort of driver issue. How I'm supposed to handle it, however, is beyond me... Anyone have any ideas?

The mobo is a Supermicro, listed here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-182-124&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

bzrk

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

I don't really see anything in BIOS about disk controllers though. There was something for SATA, which i tried enabling and disabling and got the same result, and one for floppy drive which i tried both options as well. There is a boot order list and I've messed with it a bit but at the moment it is as follows:
ALL IDE HDD
ALL USB KEY
ALL IDE CDROM
ALL PCI BEV
ALL USB Floppy

When I read the reviews in the link that you posted there are some solutions to the IDE problem there have you tried them. Apparently this is the name of the controller ITE IT8212 IDE (parallel ATA) there is some mention of creating a floppy with the drivers when installing XP I do not know about 7 though.

bzrk

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

I got the impression from his comment that it was a raid driver or something. I don't even have a floppy drive, any idea if a flash drive through USB will even get detected in a situation like this? Guess I may have to go buy a floppy... =/

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
In the future, unless you have a gun pointed to your head, don't buy PATA/ATA motherboards! They stopped being used years ago. I mean, I'd understand it if you were building a machine for Windows 9x or earlier for legacy apps, but Windows 7? Get real man.

bzrk

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Don't think I had much choice in the matter, cuz this is my vid card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130337

Anyway, I'm now able to get farther through the startup process, I got the drive formatted and went through a Win 7 install up until the point where it makes you restart and then I'm getting an error saying something like:

iteraid.sys was the file I had to run in the system repair to get my ITE IT8212 IDE drivers to load up, and that is what finally got my hard drive to show up. Also when I try to go into any type of safe mode it just BSODs while loading drivers.