Sign in with
Your question

Most reliable mechanical HDD?

Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2012 6:24:35 PM

Hello all!

I gotta upgrade my current storage set-up to a more practical and up market solution, don't need a NAS or anything too big, just enough for games and programs. I want a reliable HDD (obviously) but more so that most, my internet is terrible, if I was to download, no joke it would take about a month... I want about 2TB+.

I'm tied between two drives, Seagate 2TB Barracuda, and a Western Digital drive, not sure which one really, most likely a Caviar Black, I'd like a fast one too, but there really isn't too much of a difference between mech drives these days, apart form 5400RPM and 7200RPM

Hope someone can help

Thanks!
a b G Storage
September 14, 2012 8:03:13 PM

WD Blacks have a very good rep, and a 5 year warranty. That being said I've got 3 of them, with one bad over the span of 4 years so far. There is not hard fast rule for which drive is going to be most reliable, and people opinions are only worth so much. As long as you don't plan on using any form of raid that uses parity you will most likely be happy with the WD black series.
September 14, 2012 8:24:22 PM

Yeah, I'd go with the drive with the longest warranty. That tells you how worried the manufacturer is that they'll come back dead. Some of Seagate's consumer drives are down to 1 year. That's just not long enough. Seagate also has had a major problem with faulty firmware on their 7200.11 drives. Have they fixed the problem? Maybe.

The latest Seagates excel in sequential transfer, but even the older caviar black WDs beat them in real-world random reads and writes and multi-threaded performance. Hitachi Global Storage when they were still part of IBM got a bad rep for the "Click of Death" but now they have a great rep for reliability.

I'll skip my personal experience, as my sample size is too small. Get a drive with a long warranty.
Related resources
September 14, 2012 9:15:28 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like a Black drive is for me :p  I don't plan on RAID, I most likely won't use 2TB let alone a RAID array...
a b G Storage
September 14, 2012 9:24:59 PM

WD black have been good to me over the years. Having said that no spinner comes close to an SSD for reliability. No moving parts. Personally, I use a 256GB M4 internally for a boot drive and a 2TB green WD externally for storage. The external housing has a switch on it so only gets used when necessary. Works for me.
!