Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Running TRIM defrag on Intel Cherryville SSD

Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2012 7:15:40 PM

From the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox, I can run TRIM (SSD optimizer) on one system with an Intel X25-M. However, on a new system with Intel Cherryville SDD, the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox does not seem to have TRIM functionality. In fact the Toolbox warns against running Windows 7 defrag on the SSD.
So how do I run TRIM or defrag the Cherryville SSD?
a c 86 G Storage
September 14, 2012 7:44:14 PM

You don't need to, because win7 does it for you.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 14, 2012 8:17:34 PM

You don't need to run defrag on an SSD at all, that only puts excess wear on it. You should shut off defrag on an SSD actually. Normally this is a scheduled task you can turn off.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 8:53:42 PM

What has changed since the TRIM program that was part of the Intel SSD Tool Box back in 2009 when I got the X25-M?
What did TRIM do that you say is now unnecessary?
m
l
September 14, 2012 8:58:07 PM

noidea_77 said:
You don't need to, because win7 does it for you.

Are you saying that Windows 7 automatically runs defrag on my Cherryville SSD?
I have an older SSD, the X25-M on another Win 7 system. Win 7 did not automatically defrag the X25-M. I had to run TRIM on that SSD. What has changed since the X25-M?
m
l

Best solution

a c 86 G Storage
September 15, 2012 12:03:48 AM

TRIM has nothing to do with defrag and defragging a SSD is always a bad idea, because it shortens the lifetime and doesn't make it any faster. Waht has changed in the meantime is that win7 is aware of SSDs and knows how to handel them. Part of that is that it will send the TRIM if needed.
September 15, 2012 12:12:51 AM

Thank you for the reply which clarifies the situation. I did make sure that BIOS was set for the SSD: AHCI. Bottom line: I don't have to do anything, since Win 7 will take care of TRIM for SSD if necessary. Greatly appreciated.
m
l
September 15, 2012 12:14:00 AM

Best answer selected by cma6.
m
l
!