Installing new Mobo - question about exisiting drivers etc

serth

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hi Guys

A bit of a simple question here!

My ASUS P5QLD PRO has broken, and i have decided to replace it with an ASUS P5Q PRO TURBO, as it has socket 775 (For my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600) and gives me sli/crossfire capabilities should i need it.

My only question is the installation of my new motherboard. Do i need to remove drivers for the P5QLD PRO before installing the P5Q PRO TURBO, or are these over-written when installing a new motherboard? Are there any special procedures that need to be completed when changing motherboards?

Thanks in advance

Serth

System specs (after installing new motherboard):

O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate x 64
MoBo: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
RAM: 4x 2gb (8GB) Kingston Hyper-X Genesis DDR2 @1066mhz
GPU: GeForce GTS 250 @ 1gb DDR3
PSU: 600w Corsair
HDD: 2 x Seagate barracuda 500gb @ 7200rpm
HDD: 2 x Seagate barracuda 1tb @ 7200rpm

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
When changing motherboards as you are, you need not delete the drivers for the former board - the new ones will take their place.

Be careful to match standoffs for the new motherboard so that unused old ones are not left behind. They should match exactly in this case but it is SOP.

The new board will definitely need new drivers as it has a different Southbridge and audio, etc.

You should update to the latest BIOS also.
Other than that, nice board! :)

Though if you do end up having any problems, the first thing I would suggest is to format and re-install Windows and everything else. Some drivers just don't like to be messed with that way.

I even did a re-install when I switched from a B2 version P67 board to the B3 version of the very same board. I guess I choose to prevent any problems in the first place, instead of waiting to do it until after a problem is discovered.