Mobo change to format or not

styxaus

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hello all thanks in advance for any help! here is my dilema.

I recently built a pc for some friends out of some old components i had (e7500, GB ep45 ud3, ddr2 dominiators) + some brand new items ( hd 5650, 24" monitor case etc etc). As i took the older components out of my old system that was perfectly stable i had no issues with selling them heavily discounted to give them a nice cheap system.

How ever being as they are not computer literate in the least they have had issues with it that only seem to happen to them ie crashes etc. Every time i have tested it i am unable to replicate these problems using extensive stress tests (prime 95, vantage, orthos super pi runs and what ever else i feel like throwing at it) which makes it rather hard to actually fix... Especially since they say the crashes occure during web browsing and such, no actual graphical loads are placed on this pc ever so far as i can tell (except by me).

It is worth noting that the system is overclocked but to a much lesser degree than what i used to o.c. it in my own system which used to run game/stress and bench stable at 4.1ghz. Also worth noting is i am by no means new to building pc's :)
Runs on windows 7 64bit. No malware or viruses (this time...) all drivers updated to the latest revisions and temperatures well below the max for this cpu.

Any how i degress thats the back story. Bascially i am sick of them complaining about problems that only they seem able to produce so im just taking the my old components back and replacing them with brand new AMD PII 555 BE , 1333 DDR corsair xms ram and a Asus M4A87TD-usb3 mb.

As i have already had to reinstall windows once and wipe all the app's thanks to some lovely viruses they aquired i would VERY much like to avoid doing that again. Thus in my wisdom i partitioned thier HDD last time, so to my question.
Should i image/back up to the partion wipe the primary and reinstall all the apps etc or manually remove the drivers and just install the new MB? i have little time or patience left with this for sorting through thier crap figuring what to save or finding thier 10000 apps.... Basically will it cause issues just removing the drivers and installing the new ones to a degree that they will be harrassing me to sort out problems any normal user would just accept as a fact of the PC/windows nature. Seriously every bit of soft ware that crashes for any reason is some how the COMPUTERS FAULT and therfore mine.... never again i swear never again.

thanks sorry for the rant

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Feel better? :)
Crashing during web-surfing could possibly be due to overvolted RAM, or other overclcocking .
Your "clients" don't need OC for what they're doing it seems. Maybe set everything in BIOS to default and see how it goes.