Problems with HD 5770

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
OK, so I picked up an HIS IceQ 5770 (slightly overclocked I think) this past week. I had posted a few days back about how it was having trouble fitting in my case for whatever reason, but was able to get it finally.

I uninstalled my old drivers, and ran driver sweeper as well. When I used the newest catalyst drivers, the quality and sharpness of the graphics in games, and on my desktop and on the internet looked noticeably worse than my 8800GT that I was trying to replace. I uninstalled the drivers again, and tried booting them up with the ones on the CD that is comes with to see if it is any better, but then it looked even worse. I tried again with the latest catalyst, and again, it looked bad (worse than the first time)

Also, the one big thing I noticed, is whenever I was rebooting my comp, I would hear the fans turn on, and off, on, and off over and over for a few times (lasting maybe 15 seconds) until it started to boot for real. The power button on my PC would also be turning on and off as this happened. I also got my computer to randomly restart when I opened my DVD drive once.

Finally, the last thing that was also an issue, is it did not want use HDMI very much, it would not always output through HDMI. It would output to the monitor sometimes, but if I walked away and let it goto standby for a couple hours and came back, it had trouble detecting anything through the HDMI, but if I plugged in the DVI, it would output. This is a minor issure but since I use a TV for my hook up, DVI means I have to run it through a VGA port.

Anyway, I figured one reason could be my power supply, but that does not really make sense to me. From what I was reading, a 5770 draws quite a bit less power than my previous 8800GT, which has never had and problems related to lack of power.

My current specs are
Athlon x2 5000 ( 2.6ghz)
2 7,200 RPM hard drives
4GB ram
8800GT
530 watt PSU (about a year old)

I am not sure what the issue could be, but it seems like I am really having a lot of them.... Anyway, thanks for your help if anyone has any suggestions ^ ^