Games all crash in Windows 7 7100

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinalhaven15

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hi. i recently downloaded the 64 bit windows 7 rc 7100, and upgraded to that from the windows 7 beta. on the beta i could game fine and never had any crashes. Now that i have windows 7 rc ( with proper drivers, direct x, etc.) EVERY game i play crashes after 5 to 10 minutes. In crysis it just quits. In CoD5 ill be playing and then it freezes and the sky turns black/ white lines/ colors usually come out of the barrel of my gun when its frozen (they done move, it almost looks like my lcd shattered), and everything onscreen looses reflections and becomes bland. In GTA IV is crashes. i can browse the internet fine without issue and the system is stable enough to run for hours. other than gaming the beta is great. I am frustrated and need help thanks. Heres my system if it helps:
i7 920 @ 4GHz w/ TRUE heatsink lga 1366.... yes its stable
GTX 260 OC'd to 750MHz core clock
4GB DDR3 1333mhz
850w thermaltake black widow psu
MSI x58 pro motherboard
---plenty of airflow with nzxt nemesis elite case-----

keep in mind that it is the same overclock as it was in the beta and the beta did not have any issues
thanks

pap1er

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Clean installation of RC version of win7 will resolve your problem.
Upgrade from beta to RC is supported but not recomended by microsoft (prolly aplications crashes
after upgrade are the main reason :) )

manicwun

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have the same problem with my windows 7

Manufacturer Foxconn
Model OEM
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 447 GB
Disk partition (C:) 109 GB Free (149 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (E:) 99 GB Free (298 GB Total)

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Total available graphics memory 1567 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 320 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1247 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8585
Primary monitor resolution 1600x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10

It seems all games crash at random. I have done 3 fresh installs so far! Might end up going back to xp :)

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
DX update???, remove and install new driver for gfx card??? all last chipset driver from mobo website? you have all admin right? if game crash after 5-10 min .. have u check your temp? not cause it run fin in beta that it will run fine in RC ...monitor your stock to see if there a prob

i run Win 7 RC1 X64, and run Win 7 beta since almost 6 month . its my main pc and never had problem with game. only Punkbuster made me #$?%#$%#$%# cause they do not support Seven yet ... had to install Vista on another partition to run PB online game ...

EP45-DS3l
Q6600 @ 3.0
6GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 ( 2X2GB + 2X1GB)
BFG GTX260 MaxCore OC

hence why this is a BETA windows and not the final product - its designed to allow hardware manafacturers to get bugs out etc

Reset your overclocks back to stock and run prime95 and atitool for a few hours and see what results you get firstup

As seen previously with different operating systems, one OS might be solid (eg Vista x86) with an overclock yet Vista x64 might not be solid with the same OC

Whether or not overclock was stable before is irrelevant... a first and necessary troubleshooting step is to revert everything back to stock speed and test. Never make the assumption that an overclock will continue to work regarless of the OS installed.

AlexJames

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Actually I don't think it has anything to do with upgrading from one version of Windows 7 to another, because I have only installed Windows 7 EC 7100 onto a brand new rig and it crashes in exactly the same way as the previous people described. System is perfectly stable when browsing the web etc. but games unpredictably crash after perhaps 10 minutes, 30 minutes, sometimes it lasts an hour. It is incredibly frustrating.

My bro installed the latest drivers (MB, Nvidia) onto my PC but it still happens...my computer has a Gigabyte motherboard and a GTX 260, so there shouldn't be any hardware compatibility issues. Anyone got any fresh bright ideas to resolve this?

zigzag_01

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hi there!
I have the same problem.. I have just installed new windows 7 Ultimate 2009 full and every 5-10 minets games crashes.(game freeze or i got pink color display) this is in every one game that i play ..)
Prototyp,Crysis,arma 2,gta4,call of duty4 and more... I am frustrated and need help thanks. Heres my system if it helps:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
core i7 quad 920 2.67 GHz
6gb RAM DDR3
Asus intel x58 P6T
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 black edition
800 gb hardisk western digital
Philips Brilliance 220CW 22
1680x1050

JockeN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hey dudes!

I have had the exact same problem as most of you. I am running windows 7 build 7100 64-bit on an xfx 780i with xfx gtx 260 black edition. I have had the pink screen problem while i have been gaming for about 5-15 minutes. And there was one thing that never slipped my mind, and that was maybe is the gpu running hot? I have googled gtx 260 temperatures and people have said that 75 Degrees Celcius is no problem, some may run even hotter. And i thought for myself, hey that cant be right. So i googled again to see fi there was a program on how to controll the fan on the gpu.
The most popular one was Riva Tuner wich i dident found that good so i trided to find another program and nvidia had one called Ntune (pretty old program) but it worked under windows 7.
After the installation you can actually change the fan speed % meter from stock (40%, wich get thees pink lockups and hot gpu). I moved it up to 60% and saved myslef from 75-80 degrees to 60-65 max sometimes even lower.
And after this little tweak i can run the hole call of duty 4 demo, fear 2 full game and batman arkham asylum demo in 1920x1080 with everything maxed out with no pink screens lockups.

The gpu gets a little bit nosier, but no bigger problem. I am happy that i now can play games. Have hade the computer for over 2 months and tried everything to get it to work properly.

I thought i share, some of you might be helped.

See ya later, Sweden out : )

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Seems to be a theme here with the whole Nvidia hardware thing, but I do notice that it is different cards sooo my guess is that its just a driver issue ?

Don't kill me Nvidia people but I am not having the same problems on my ATI hardware :( not a troll just that maybe its a driver issue ? This is good news since it can be fixed and I am sure Nvidia will fix really fast (I hear they have way better drivers then ATI does and they fix things faster too)

Korvax

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Actually, I have two Radeon HD 4870 cards in my system, and I get the same problem. Asus M3A79-T mobo with Phenom II proc, Windows 7 RC 1 build 7100. I tried playing Crysis, can get passed the main menu screen, but the game shuts my system down after the first load. I tried playing the new Heroes of Newerth and the system shuts down right away. I managed 40 minutes out of Warhammer. The only things I get to work are Diablo II and Warcraft III.

However, I noticed that when I tried the Windows Experience Index program to "Rate" my computer (pffft, whatever), it runs the DirectX 9 tests no problem, but shuts down right as it starts the DirectX 10 batch assesment test. Could there be some issue with DirectX 10 on Windows 7? Anybody have any ideas/thoughts/similar issues with this?

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have same mother board you have Korvax, a Phenom II 940 b.e. at 3.6ghz and two vision tech 4870's over clocked and have no problems like all are having. The only problem I have noticed is in DOWII in the main menu, it would like viberate the screen, but not in gaming. It no longer does this, so I am not sure what the issue was, but it is now gone and everything works fine. However one really wierd thing is that for months PC probe II was working on all my builds with Windows 7 RC 7100 build, and now just in the last two weeks, it gets a error message and will not allow PCprobe II to work. Anyone else have that problem?

carrollta2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Hey, I recently installed RC 7100 Build on my laptop. I just got NFS Shift and Resident Evil 5 and both crash after about 4-6 minutes. I ran these games on my desktop which has Vista and they work fine. I dont have a clue as to how to fix this problem. Just adding to the number of people who have it. Help would be really great...

wack

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I have similar issues and I have fresh install of win7 I tried with my 4890 2gb and had it so I tried 8800gtx on another fresh install and same results, yet I can swap hd's and play the higher end dx10 games on my vista, This pretty much leads to the conclusion that it's a win7 issue with high end games since my basic games have no issue at all. I even tried diff memory (yes meant for board just not high performance)all basic games run just fine I Woner why I bought win7 since I loved my vista anyhow///////addiction to attempted upgrades, BTW I ran fps tests on both vista and win7 with zero zero zero performance gains and in fact on farcry 2 i lost performance, I am sure they will fix it in the next year and hopefully make it better as advertised as at this point it's worse for me and others I have talked to personally

Edebarudo

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hey,

I've got a similar problem. When I try to run Crysis, Crysis Warhead and Fallout 3, windows crashes when I try to start a new game (e.g. it passes the menu but no more. I also don't recieve any notification that the program has crashed, it just closes down.).

I have Windows 7 Professional (don't know which build, I'm not at home atm) freshly installed.

My hardware is:

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-p55-ud4
CPU: Intel i5 2,66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 MHz cl7
GFX: Leadtek Winfast GeForce 9800 GTX+ (currently with the drivers win 7 installed automatically, because I've read those will work the best)
HDD: 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm

If anyone knows what the problem is about, please do tell!

Cheers from Sweden!

Rallo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Wow, looks like i'm not the only one with this problem, same thing, upgraded from XP and every single game i play crashes, some to the BSOD, and some with an memory error message, I've had this comp for 3 years without a problem playing games until Win7 Pro was put it.

Cant help wondering if not reformatting the HD and just compartmentalizing the old files has something to do with it? Anyone what to speculate on my outlandish theory?

Specs

> GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35

> Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz

> 8GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066

> EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3

Rallo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
UPDATE: Well i reinstalled Win7 Pro, this time, clean, formatted the drive it went on and I haven't had a problem yet in my games. But i'm installing all my games, apps, and drivers, one at a time, testing each time i install a new one to see if they have any effect. So far reinstalled by the Nvidia 191.07 driver with out a crash, will continue to install and test. But gotta go to work first!

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Ok there this tool in Windows 7 called Compatibility, is a mode in Windows that lets you run programs written for earlier versions of Windows. Could this solve the gaming nightmares? :heink:

To start this program

Go to Start

In the search section type: compatibility

Then double click on it

Once program opens up, click Advanced

then untick ‘Apply repairs automatically’

click Next

Select your game/program in the list
(if your game/program not on the list, select ‘Not listed’ and browse for it)

click next

next again

then you can click on

Try recommended setting

Or

Troubleshoot program

khris25

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I switch from windows 7 beta to RC i have a 8800gts 512 the main games i have noticed it on was crysis wars and fall out 3.
If i turn down the graphics to there lowest setting it fixes the problem. no more freezing. You guys should try this see if it fixes it and let me know.
My gpu runs at 72c i have try with lower clocks and 100% fan speed with no luck. I have also done cpu burn tests, memory test and gpu error test with no problems.
I think its driver related. although the new beta drive from nvidia didnt fix the problem (195.39). Ive heard that older drivers fix the problem also but have not tried it.
I have tried the Compatibility thingy and it did not work ether.

xxspark89xx

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I have a similar issue! Just installed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and not even 5 minutes into the game it crashes. The screen goes black, the audio gets "stuck" and then my monitor goes into power save mode leading me to believe the graphics card ran into an error whether it be the driver or Windows 7. I have to restart every time this occurs. :(

My Computer Config:

Motherboard: XFX 790i Ultra SLI
Processor: Intel Core2 Extreme QX6950 @ 3.00Ghz Stock Speeds
Memory: 2GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
Graphics Cards:
- XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition - Stock Speeds
- EVGA GeForce 8800GT - Running as second card (SLI) - Stock Speeds
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Full Version (Installed with fresh format)

All my drivers are current and up to date as well, and haven't had ANY other issues with this setup until trying to run this game.

G

I get the exact same problems as a lot of you. I just bought a new comp, Asus M4A78T-E with and AMD PhenomII 4x 945 3.00ghz with 4gb ddr3 RAM. but kept my old gfx card 9800GT. All of this hardware is running at stock.
with that comp also got Windows 7 professional and all my games would crash to black after a random time. Thought it was windows 7. went back to xp and the problem followed me. desperately want to play MW2. Hope some one can find a solution. :S

in the mean time i will try changing my GPU fanspeed.

G

Brand new Dell XPS 16 i7 820QM, HD4670 GPU, 4Gb RAM, SSD, Windows 7 Pro pre installed.

Out of the box, and installed Fallout 3.

Screen freezes after 10 to 30 minutes of play. Was wondering if it was to do with the app referencing the DVD drive for data? Is there a way to copy and run the whole game to the hard drive? Not an option during installation.

Will check for updates to Fallout 3, graphics card and will try compatability mode.

Also even at lower resolution and quality the frame rate drops to being very jerky (<6 fps I'd guess) when there's a lot happening on screen

Not impressed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.