Plz help me on this, unable to access internet?

jgfrank

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Greetings:

For many years, I hook up my Motorola Surfboard SB4100 cable modem to my Netgear Router RT314 and everything works fine. Since Comcast HSI, change new ip address, dns, gateway etc every month or two, I just have to plug-in new parameters into the router and everything works fine. For unknown reason, nothing seems to works lately (no I don't install any new software or hardware) e.g I don't have any access to the internet (Comcast techsupport have no clues and couldn't help me out). If I hookup the Cable modem directly to my computer with tripple boot OS (Win98SE, Win2k prof. sp4, XP Prof. sp1), I am able to access to the internet again under Win98SE and Win2K and I can get an ip address, dns, gateway parameters etc using winipcfg and ipconfig /all for Win2K. However, I am unable to connect to the internet and get ip address under XP OS. I get a "Page can not be displayed" and the following ip information:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jupiterxp

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 196.245.135.138

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

--------------------

If I hook up the modem to the router and plug-in all the parameters as I usually do, I get an error message

DETECT ERROR ON ROUTER
Error: CAN NOT GET THE WAN MAC ADDRESS

at the end of the "Wizard" setup.

I unplug the power cord from the router and the Surfboard for many hours and still no luck. Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Butchs37

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Do you have two nic cards installed? Looks like from the info you have here there is a network bridge installed. If there is and you only have 1 nic card then delete the network bridge. You should see your nic card listed instead of network bridge. Reboot and that should do it.

jgfrank

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thank you for your help.

No I have only one Nic card. The Network bridge is installed when I use XP network setup applet. It makes a floppy and I have to insert it to each machine on the network.

I have 2 problems related to internet access:
1. My router web port is dead.
2. After replacing the router, I am still unable to access the internet under XP. So I am going to give your suggestion (ie delete Network bridge in my Network Neighborhood) a shot when I get home.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I can only give you limited information about this because I had the same problem. I have 2 computers on my network, a wired and wireless client. I've had the worst trouble networking through Win xp. My advice is to delete anything in the network setup and call the manufacturer of your router for setup assistance. Usually most decent companies understand there are a lot of confused people like us that need help. I have a Buffalo Router and have called their tech support several times for help which they have gladly provided. Good luck

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.