Joined Workgroup, tossed out of windows altogether

Brace yourself for a tale of folly, ignorance, and the ultimate lock out.

Got a computer from an old job (100% legit I might add) that was set as part
of a domain. 1 year after leaving said job I decide to finally get around to
setting up my home wireless network, and also start employing some degree of
wireless security. I use the "network wizard" on a separate computer (Lets
say computer A), all goes well. I then turn turn my old work computer(call
it computer B), and figure it should be in the same workgroup as A (although
I don't know what this means in term of performance/sharing, it seemed like a
good idea AT THE TIME!

Those of you in the know can see this one comming a mile away...

I take computer B, change the name, and then make the changes to turn from
the old domain, to my newly created workgroup (ooh won't this be great I tell
my wife). Sure windows asks me for my password, but since I had
administrative privliges for the computer I fire that in. Prompt for
re-start, no problem...let's start networking I say...

Now I'm locked out of windows. Wife has hard time controlling the urge to
giggle (successful) and to say "told you so.." (unsuccessful).

Reading through previous posts, I think my options are limited to
reformatting HD. Since previous job was in Durham NC, I'm now in Lebanon NH,
I don't have access to physically connecting my machine to the old network,
nor did I ever have domain admin privalages. 2 requirements I can't meet.

I'm fine with reformating the thing , but want to make sure there is no way
to get my mp3's off of the disk first. I'm guessing there is not, since I
can't even get past the windows log in box.

Any thoughts???

the idiot
8 answers Last reply
More about joined workgroup tossed windows altogether

    village idiot wrote:
    > Brace yourself for a tale of folly, ignorance, and the ultimate lock out.
    >
    > Got a computer from an old job (100% legit I might add) that was set as part
    > of a domain. 1 year after leaving said job I decide to finally get around to
    > setting up my home wireless network, and also start employing some degree of
    > wireless security. I use the "network wizard" on a separate computer (Lets
    > say computer A), all goes well. I then turn turn my old work computer(call
    > it computer B), and figure it should be in the same workgroup as A (although
    > I don't know what this means in term of performance/sharing, it seemed like a
    > good idea AT THE TIME!
    >
    > Those of you in the know can see this one comming a mile away...
    >
    > I take computer B, change the name, and then make the changes to turn from
    > the old domain, to my newly created workgroup (ooh won't this be great I tell
    > my wife). Sure windows asks me for my password, but since I had
    > administrative privliges for the computer I fire that in. Prompt for
    > re-start, no problem...let's start networking I say...

    > Now I'm locked out of windows. Wife has hard time controlling the urge to
    > giggle (successful) and to say "told you so.." (unsuccessful).
    >
    > Reading through previous posts, I think my options are limited to
    > reformatting HD. Since previous job was in Durham NC, I'm now in Lebanon NH,
    > I don't have access to physically connecting my machine to the old network,
    > nor did I ever have domain admin privalages. 2 requirements I can't meet.
    >
    > I'm fine with reformating the thing , but want to make sure there is no way
    > to get my mp3's off of the disk first. I'm guessing there is not, since I
    > can't even get past the windows log in box.
    >
    > Any thoughts???
    >
    > the idiot

    By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
    destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
    you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid.

    Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account. For WinXP Pro,
    pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
    Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box. Then just
    copy the data from your old domain account's user profile to your newly
    created user account.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I would be tempted to remove the hard drive from computer B and set it as a
    slave in computer A.. then copy the files across to primary drive in A..
    re-install drive into computer B.. re-load software..

    Go to the hard drive manufacturer website to get jumper details in slave
    position or decipher from the label on the drive..

    Install on the unused IDE connector cable that leads to your primary drive..
    restart the computer to see if the drive shows up, and then look for your
    mp3 files.. COPY them to your primary drive..

    Remove and reset the drive jumper to how it was, and re-install into
    computer B.. install the OS..

    All being well, you are now ready to start the networking procedure.. send
    your wife out shopping so that she can't laugh at you..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    village idiot wrote:
    > Brace yourself for a tale of folly, ignorance, and the ultimate lock
    > out.
    >
    > Got a computer from an old job (100% legit I might add) that was set
    > as part of a domain. 1 year after leaving said job I decide to
    > finally get around to setting up my home wireless network, and also
    > start employing some degree of wireless security. I use the "network
    > wizard" on a separate computer (Lets say computer A), all goes well.
    > I then turn turn my old work computer(call it computer B), and figure
    > it should be in the same workgroup as A (although I don't know what
    > this means in term of performance/sharing, it seemed like a good idea
    > AT THE TIME!
    >
    > Those of you in the know can see this one comming a mile away...
    >
    > I take computer B, change the name, and then make the changes to turn
    > from the old domain, to my newly created workgroup (ooh won't this be
    > great I tell my wife). Sure windows asks me for my password, but
    > since I had administrative privliges for the computer I fire that in.
    > Prompt for re-start, no problem...let's start networking I say...

    > Now I'm locked out of windows. Wife has hard time controlling the
    > urge to giggle (successful) and to say "told you so.." (unsuccessful).
    >
    > Reading through previous posts, I think my options are limited to
    > reformatting HD. Since previous job was in Durham NC, I'm now in
    > Lebanon NH, I don't have access to physically connecting my machine
    > to the old network, nor did I ever have domain admin privalages. 2
    > requirements I can't meet.
    >
    > I'm fine with reformating the thing , but want to make sure there is
    > no way to get my mp3's off of the disk first. I'm guessing there is
    > not, since I can't even get past the windows log in box.

    Hack the administrator password on the laptop and log in as that..

    How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

    Log in using safe mode..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I had the same thing happen to me, but I was using NT 4.0 at the time.
    There are quite a few methods to get access to your MP3 files.

    1. If you unplug the Network cable, the system will revert back to the last
    known trusted login. Now all you have to worry about is how your going to
    get the files off, the system. Got CD-Rs?

    2. Remove the HD, and relocate it to another system. Make sure the other
    system has a compatible OS. I hope your computer is not a Laptop, it could
    get very tricky removing and mount the HD.

    2.1. Get a new HD install the OS on that, slave the old drive. Copy the
    files you need from the old drive to the new and re-format.

    Good Luck!

    JW

    "village idiot" <villageidiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Brace yourself for a tale of folly, ignorance, and the ultimate lock out.
    >
    > Got a computer from an old job (100% legit I might add) that was set as
    part
    > of a domain. 1 year after leaving said job I decide to finally get around
    > setting up my home wireless network, and also start employing some degree
    of
    > wireless security. I use the "network wizard" on a separate computer
    (Lets
    > say computer A), all goes well. I then turn turn my old work
    computer(call
    > it computer B), and figure it should be in the same workgroup as A
    (although
    > I don't know what this means in term of performance/sharing, it seemed
    like a
    > good idea AT THE TIME!
    >
    > Those of you in the know can see this one comming a mile away...
    >
    > I take computer B, change the name, and then make the changes to turn from
    > the old domain, to my newly created workgroup (ooh won't this be great I
    tell
    > my wife). Sure windows asks me for my password, but since I had
    > administrative privliges for the computer I fire that in. Prompt for
    > re-start, no problem...let's start networking I say...

    > Now I'm locked out of windows. Wife has hard time controlling the urge to
    > giggle (successful) and to say "told you so.." (unsuccessful).
    >
    > Reading through previous posts, I think my options are limited to
    > reformatting HD. Since previous job was in Durham NC, I'm now in Lebanon
    NH,
    > I don't have access to physically connecting my machine to the old
    network,
    > nor did I ever have domain admin privalages. 2 requirements I can't
    meet.

    > I'm fine with reformating the thing , but want to make sure there is no
    way
    > to get my mp3's off of the disk first. I'm guessing there is not, since I
    > can't even get past the windows log in box.
    >
    > Any thoughts???
    >
    > the idiot

    Wow, tons of great advice. I gleefully spouted off to my wife how I would be
    able to solve this latest hitch without delay...
    You would think I'd learn huh?

    The first sign that I was still in the weeds came when I couldn't even get
    to the Welcome page when the computer boots up, instead I get a "Log on to
    Windows" password box that pops up with my user name, and asks for a
    password. When I type the password I've been using (the same one that let me
    stumble into this quagmire) I get the "the system could not log you on..."
    message. Just to throw salt in the wound, it advises "make sure your User
    name and _domain_ are correct..." Domain...DOMAIN!!! jeez, at least give me
    the option to select...oh its a cruel cruel world.

    Undaunted, but at least silent to Mrs. Idiot from here on out, I went to
    plans B through D.

    I tried the double Ctrl+Alt+Del anyway but was unsuccessful.
    I tried looging on in safe mode, but ran into the same login screen
    The damn things' a laptop, so pulling the HD seems a bit complex (not that I
    am ruling it out)

    So far, no luck.

    Slightly daunted,

    the Idiot

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > village idiot wrote:
    > > Brace yourself for a tale of folly, ignorance, and the ultimate lock out.
    > >
    > > Got a computer from an old job (100% legit I might add) that was set as part
    > > of a domain. 1 year after leaving said job I decide to finally get around to
    > > setting up my home wireless network, and also start employing some degree of
    > > wireless security. I use the "network wizard" on a separate computer (Lets
    > > say computer A), all goes well. I then turn turn my old work computer(call
    > > it computer B), and figure it should be in the same workgroup as A (although
    > > I don't know what this means in term of performance/sharing, it seemed like a
    > > good idea AT THE TIME!
    > >
    > > Those of you in the know can see this one comming a mile away...
    > >
    > > I take computer B, change the name, and then make the changes to turn from
    > > the old domain, to my newly created workgroup (ooh won't this be great I tell
    > > my wife). Sure windows asks me for my password, but since I had
    > > administrative privliges for the computer I fire that in. Prompt for
    > > re-start, no problem...let's start networking I say...

    > > Now I'm locked out of windows. Wife has hard time controlling the urge to
    > > giggle (successful) and to say "told you so.." (unsuccessful).
    > >
    > > Reading through previous posts, I think my options are limited to
    > > reformatting HD. Since previous job was in Durham NC, I'm now in Lebanon NH,
    > > I don't have access to physically connecting my machine to the old network,
    > > nor did I ever have domain admin privalages. 2 requirements I can't meet.
    > >
    > > I'm fine with reformating the thing , but want to make sure there is no way
    > > to get my mp3's off of the disk first. I'm guessing there is not, since I
    > > can't even get past the windows log in box.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts???
    > >
    > > the idiot
    >

    > By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
    > destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
    > you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid.
    >
    > Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    > cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account. For WinXP Pro,
    > pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
    > Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box. Then just
    > copy the data from your old domain account's user profile to your newly
    > created user account.
    >

    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    village idiot wrote:
    > Wow, tons of great advice. I gleefully spouted off to my wife how I would be
    > able to solve this latest hitch without delay...
    > You would think I'd learn huh?
    >
    > The first sign that I was still in the weeds came when I couldn't even get
    > to the Welcome page when the computer boots up, instead I get a "Log on to
    > Windows" password box that pops up with my user name, and asks for a
    > password. When I type the password I've been using (the same one that let me
    > stumble into this quagmire) I get the "the system could not log you on..."
    > message. Just to throw salt in the wound, it advises "make sure your User
    > name and _domain_ are correct..." Domain...DOMAIN!!! jeez, at least give me
    > the option to select...oh its a cruel cruel world.
    >
    > Undaunted, but at least silent to Mrs. Idiot from here on out, I went to
    > plans B through D.
    >
    > I tried the double Ctrl+Alt+Del anyway but was unsuccessful.
    > I tried looging on in safe mode, but ran into the same login screen
    > The damn things' a laptop, so pulling the HD seems a bit complex (not that I
    > am ruling it out)
    >
    > So far, no luck.
    >
    > Slightly daunted,
    >
    > the Idiot
    >

    >> Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    >>cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account. For WinXP Pro,
    >>pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
    >>Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box. Then just
    >>copy the data from your old domain account's user profile to your newly
    >>created user account.
    >>

    >>HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >>
    >>How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

    Is there any particular reason that you didn't follw the above advice?
    As I said, your old username and password are no good, now that you're
    removed the machine from the domain. You *must* log in using the local
    Administrator account to set things right.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    village idiot wrote:
    > Wow, tons of great advice. I gleefully spouted off to my wife how I
    > would be able to solve this latest hitch without delay...
    > You would think I'd learn huh?
    >
    > The first sign that I was still in the weeds came when I couldn't
    > even get to the Welcome page when the computer boots up, instead I
    > get a "Log on to Windows" password box that pops up with my user
    > name, and asks for a password. When I type the password I've been
    > using (the same one that let me stumble into this quagmire) I get the
    > "the system could not log you on..." message. Just to throw salt in
    > the wound, it advises "make sure your User name and _domain_ are
    > correct..." Domain...DOMAIN!!! jeez, at least give me the option to
    > select...oh its a cruel cruel world.
    >
    > Undaunted, but at least silent to Mrs. Idiot from here on out, I went
    > to plans B through D.
    >
    > I tried the double Ctrl+Alt+Del anyway but was unsuccessful.
    > I tried looging on in safe mode, but ran into the same login screen
    > The damn things' a laptop, so pulling the HD seems a bit complex (not
    > that I am ruling it out)
    >
    > So far, no luck.

    Repeating my advice:

    Hack the administrator password on the laptop and log in as that..

    How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    You should start trying the username ADMINISTRATOR, not yours.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > >> Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    > >>cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account. For WinXP Pro,
    > >>pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
    > >>Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box. Then just
    > >>copy the data from your old domain account's user profile to your newly
    > >>created user account.

    > Is there any particular reason that you didn't follw the above advice?
    > As I said, your old username and password are no good, now that you're
    > removed the machine from the domain. You *must* log in using the local
    > Administrator account to set things right.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers

    Actually I tried this first. I could not log in as Admin, Administrator,
    _blank_, A, the big A, or A-hole I was getting frustrated). While I had
    administrative rights to the computer, I was not the Administrator of the
    computer or network.

    I did follow your lead after I gained access to the administrator acct and I
    was able to copy my user profile to a 'new' acct.

    To be honest, I'm thinking of junking all the old accounts and starting anew
    (I'm sure it will be smoooooth sailing _Grin_

    Thanks again everyone.

    the Idiot

Configuration Computers Windows XP