Sign in with
Your question

The power pack is on, cpu fan not rolling, casing fan not working, motherboard n

Last response: in Motherboards
April 19, 2011 3:16:00 PM

Hello,
my system power pack comes on my i power it but the all the components attached to the motherboard are not working and the system is not coming up. Its only the power pack that is working. Please what can be the problem? Is it the motherboard or what? My system is hp compaq dx2000 mt running window xp
Please i need your help.
Thanks
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2011 3:35:54 PM

Just because the fan on the PSU is running doe not mean it is supplying power to the motherboard. Undo all of the connections from the PSU to the MB and reattach. Blow out the PC if it is dirty. Attach a fan to one of the PSU lines and see if it spins.
If none of the above works, the PSU is probably bad. But if it has gone bad, it may have taken other components with it, including the motherboard.
m
l
a c 109 V Motherboard
April 19, 2011 5:28:29 PM

^+1. Also consider removing your RAM sticks and disconnect all devices from the mobo. Once everything is removed, start reconnecting parts one by one, testing for power/operation with each part. If you still can't get a display, try breadboarding your system to rule out a case short.

Breadboarding 101:

1. Disconnect Power Supply Unit(PSU) and device cables from mobo
2. Remove/Disconnect any device(s) that impede mobo removal from inside of case
3. Remove mobo, and then place it on a non-conductive surface (like a phonebook)
4. Reinstall/reconnect just one RAM stick, the PSU, and monitor cable
5. Turn on power to the system by jumping the power switch pins on the mobo.

If you don't get a display, try using the installed RAM in a different DIMM slot, or use a different RAM stick. If this still doesn't work, then the next place to do testing is the PSU. Get your hands on a digital multimeter or voltmeter and test the PSU by following these steps:

1. Turn on DMM or DVM to Voltage DC
2. Turn on computer (although there is no display, power is still being supplied)
3. Stick the black probe into the back of any black wire from the P1 connector (the long connector with 20 or 24 holes)
4. Stick the red probe to the following colors on the P1 connector and compare your readings to what is listed next to each color:

Yellow= +12V
Red= +5V
Orange= +3.3V
Purple = +5V standby
Brown = +3.3V
Blue = -12V
Gray = this one should go from 0V to 5V as soon as you turn the PSU on with the case switch.

There can be up to a 10% tolerance, anything beyond that indicates your PSU is failing.
m
l
August 31, 2011 5:55:10 PM

teabouz said:
Hello,
my system power pack comes on my i power it but the all the components attached to the motherboard are not working and the system is not coming up. Its only the power pack that is working. Please what can be the problem? Is it the motherboard or what? My system is hp compaq dx2000 mt running window xp
Please i need your help.
Thanks

I also have the same problem with my hp compaq dx 2000 pc. please help
m
l
!