Can I Upgrade from a Pentium 4 ?

seth_381

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Solution
Wait a minute.
I am not sure Timop if you are an AMD fanboi or not but you wont remember due to your youth but there was a time that Northwood P4 HTs ruled.
I had a P4 2.6c that would oc to 3.4 on fans!
Granted that the PDs run hot but if he was able to do the upgrade cheap then as he stated he has a nice GENERAL use computer.
You dont need I3,I5s etc to do office work,browsing,cd/dvd ripping etc (though they do it a heck of alot faster!),
The PD will do all of that just fine especially if the OP got it cheap.

Perhaps I should have been more clear than. Even my HP tx2500 has bios updates. But no OEM bios update will allow support for CPUs that were not originally supported.

incorrect bro, again....
example: Dell Optiplex 740 Enhanced

BIOS update 2.1.8 allowed multiple cpu's not allowed at first production..
proof:
Updated support for AMD CPU.

Thanks.
"updated support for AMD CPU" doesn't prove that it now allows multiple CPUs not allowed at first production.
I can see that use of a bios update if the company can still use the old motherboard for newer computers but this is rare.
Although all this is irrelevant since there is no bios update that adds support for newer CPUs is available for the relevant OP's computer.

seth_381, how much money do you have to spend? Depending on that, you could look at a cheap AMD motherboard and CPU, saving money by keeping your current ram.

Not to be rude bro.
Stick to what you know.

Your post is not rude, but that is.

seth_381

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for the interest but I ended up just going for a new motherboard with ram like in the existing like you said but I went up to a Pentium D like I wanted and put a PNY Nvidia FX5200 with it so it isn't a bad build for a general use comp.

I have heard that if you can figure out your OEM mobo manafacturer part number that you can flash it with the BIOS from the aftermarket vendor.
I wouldn't try it with a computer I needed but could be fun to play with a junker.
seth_381 please pick a best answer from whoever you think worthy.

Timop

Distinguished

Pentium D or Dual? Pentiums Ds were dual-core P4s, Bad*2=Bad.

Wait a minute.
I am not sure Timop if you are an AMD fanboi or not but you wont remember due to your youth but there was a time that Northwood P4 HTs ruled.
I had a P4 2.6c that would oc to 3.4 on fans!
Granted that the PDs run hot but if he was able to do the upgrade cheap then as he stated he has a nice GENERAL use computer.
You dont need I3,I5s etc to do office work,browsing,cd/dvd ripping etc (though they do it a heck of alot faster!),
The PD will do all of that just fine especially if the OP got it cheap.

Solution

Timop

Distinguished
Huh? History aside, were in 2010, and Pentium Ds are bad, both in terms of performance and value. They're still selling them for $25 USED, when you can get a spanking new E3300 for $45.

Also, for general usage, his P4 might have even been faster, it surfs the web fine (I have a P4 rig, cough.); Pentiums Ds, especially 8XXs were hot-running inefficient processors; compared to the P4s, the lower clock speeds and lack of Hyperthreading actually made it worse as a general use CPU.

Actually the Pentium D (9xx) was available with HT and around the 3.0 ghz range.
And true you can get the E3300 cheap but the rest of the components needed (mobo,memory) especially if you would have to scrap your almost
your whole system to do the upgrade (new PSU,case etc).
With that said I do agree with you technically about the PD but it depends on the individuals situation.
IF they have an existing setup that they can upgrade to a good PD HT cheaply (P4 3.4 to PD 3.0 ht is a decent upgrade cpu power wise) then it is smart.
To do a ground up build with a PD is NOT smart.
Me personally my next system will be a C2D Wolfdale used on Craigslist. I see them around 200 dollars USD and am just waiting for one to drop to 150.
I will go from a Dual Xeon 3.2HT AGP IDE PC2100 to hopefully a E6700 (is that right?) PCI x16 Sata 3 etc for a 150 dollars and give the Ole GreyBeard to my wife.
Triple B
Bang for Buck Baby

Timop

Distinguished

Only Pentium EEs were HT+Dual core IIRC, and he did buy a new Mobo, look has his post.

I was just pointing out the fact is he could've spend an extra bit (like $30) and got a better setup with a C2D-based/K10 CPU thats better and lasts him longer, the DDR2 RAM he has is perfectly compatible.

Good point.
As long as it was compatible with the rest of his hardware then that would have been a better way to go.
And no LOL I am planning on buying a complete tower for that money.
C2D SYSTEMS have drastically dropped in price used on Craigslist.
So for 150-200 if i play it smart i wiil get case,psu,etc that later I can upgrade with new mobo and cpu and in the meantime go from Dual Xeon P4 based 3.2 to a Wolfdale which will be a nice improvement.

I figure the smart thing is to look for a C2D tower with a good case and power supply.
I figure Antec would be best choice?
Also what is best case form factor to look for?
Micro-atx?
I have always worked on older OEM stuff for the most part (Fix-It guy in the ghetto LOL) so I am have alot to learn about custom rigs.

seth_381

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks king smp I have enjoyed it so far but I picked you because for once someone isn't screaming you need a new this or that. I only needed more more capable second computer so it wouldn't be such a shock to go from my newer HP with an AMD Phenom quad to a solo P4.

Thats been my rallying cry on THG all along.
Sure if I could get an I7 I would.
But my tower does everything I need it to do.
But I have to face the fact it is getting old.
I am finally looking to upgrade primarily to go from IDE to Sata and AGP to PCI Express.
But for now I can run Vista Ultimate as a Guest VM (Virtual Box) and at the same time run 4 virtual desktops (Dexpot- Freeware).
I can use DVD Flick on two threads (about %40 cpu) to encode and burn and still browse and do office work with no lag.
I can run Far Cry 2 on medium settings 1920-1080 res.
I can play Crysis Warhead on low settings 1280x1024 with decent FPS.
I just invested $90 on a Viewsonic 1080p 22inch with DVI cable bought used only because my ancient Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 22 crt died.
If you want to Be Green and save the earth use your old electronics as long as you can and dispose of properly.
I cant tell how many times I have saved working towers from going into the dump and gifted them or sold them cheap.

TRENDING THREADS