I7 950 - Running at half capacity?

G

Hello folks.

I imagine the first suggestion will be to Google the problem and to search the forums, but I've had no luck with that.

Hoping someone can help me out.

Cpu-Z shows my i7-950 running at 1603.6 with a multiplier of 12.

Based on Google results, this is the correct speed/multi based on Speedstep being on.

However, this doesn't change when I disable Speedstep, nor does it increase when I torture test it with prime95.

It's locked at x12 1603 regardless of the load on it.

I appreciate any guidance in making this thing work, much aappreciated.

cpu-z.jpg

System info: http://www.roflsaurus.com/users/3ntr0py/GORAN-PC.html

G

Thanks for the reply Saai,

I manually set it to 21 in bios, but as soon as the OS came up and I ran Cpu-Z, it was steady at 12.

I'm seeing a lot of places mentioning that there's a "stuck at 12" issue in windows 7, but the forum posts are all roughly a year old, and I've found no definite solution for it.

G

Issue sorted out! Anyone running an Asus board with this same problem - in bios CPU settings, disable CPU TM (Thermal management / Temperature monitoring). Number spiked immediately.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Issue sorted out! Anyone running an Asus board with this same problem - in bios CPU settings, disable CPU TM (Thermal management / Temperature monitoring). Number spiked immediately.

I wouldn't because you have no warning if your CPU is about to overheat.

If disabling thermal control "fixes" your issue, check your heatsink is properly mounted and your CPU is being cooled, otherwise the motherboard is throttling back your CPU to prevent it melting/burning/exploding/dying, hence the half-speed dial-back.

G

Keeping an eye on the temps, they're well within parameters - there's better way to manage temps than crippling the cpu! ;)