Sign in with
Your question

SLI or new Radeon

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2010 6:43:45 PM

I'm upgrading to an ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 mobo and currently have an aging Abit IP35 Pro (RIP) with an oc'd Q9650. I also have 1 Evga GTX 285 and am wondering whether to hunt down another one (still expensive on e-bay) for SLI or just sell it and put in a radeon 5850/70. I don't know if there are other GTX/Nvidia cards that can be set up with a 285 in SLI or not. I guess if I was an avid gamer and not a network tech I would know that.

It may not even be worth the hassle and I'll just wait until a GPU price war starts. Heck, I was a huge AMD fan years ago and switched to Intel when the Quad cores hit, Maybe I should be taking a look at the 6 core phenoms. If I wait long enough I can even find and affordable SSD for a boot drive and take my 2 WD Velociraptors out of RAID0... love the speed but a dangerous setup without backups.

More about : sli radeon

a c 1406 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 6:49:52 PM

I would sell it as the price is still high on ebay and get minimum HD5870. An upgrade to HD5850 would hardly be worth (noticeable) it performance wise.
m
l
June 4, 2010 7:21:37 PM

jarchack said:
I'm upgrading to an ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 mobo and currently have an aging Abit IP35 Pro (RIP) with an oc'd Q9650. I also have 1 Evga GTX 285 and am wondering whether to hunt down another one (still expensive on e-bay) for SLI or just sell it and put in a radeon 5850/70. I don't know if there are other GTX/Nvidia cards that can be set up with a 285 in SLI or not. I guess if I was an avid gamer and not a network tech I would know that.

It may not even be worth the hassle and I'll just wait until a GPU price war starts. Heck, I was a huge AMD fan years ago and switched to Intel when the Quad cores hit, Maybe I should be taking a look at the 6 core phenoms. If I wait long enough I can even find and affordable SSD for a boot drive and take my 2 WD Velociraptors out of RAID0... love the speed but a dangerous setup without backups.

The 285 is adequate to deal with most of today's games. I mean, c'mon, it was the fastest single GPU about 10 months ago & the 3rd fastest card. It will truly become obsolete in say another year & half. Till then, you should be good enough for almost all the games at max settings, few with medium settings. So I'd say, hang on for another year atleast; save up & then get a good card / SSD whatever ...
m
l
June 4, 2010 8:47:27 PM

The only thing I play as far as games is BF2 Bad Company, an occasional far cry and I still go back to CS sometimes... nothing like Bioshock or Outland. Although Bioshock awed me the first time I played it the way Unreal did years ago.... it was almost like being in another world.

But, I play maybe an hour or 2 of games per week but do video work and have a 26" monitor. The GTX 285's on e-bay are crazy high???? about the same price I paid for mine from Newegg quite a while ago. What is it with the GPU's ? Prices are supposed to go down... not up. I may just sell it while they're hot and get a 5850. I used to hate ATI cards, especially since I always had a Linux box , I hope their software got better in the last 7 years.
m
l
!